Nuoc Mam - Fish Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrazenAmateur

Senior Cook
So I have a debacle.....

I'm making a Patrick O'Connell rockfish recipe tonight and I think I got the wrong fish sauce.

What I used tastes half-decent, but I don't think I'm getting the entire effect.

Does anyone know if Vietnamese "Nuoc Mam" fish sauce is different from the ordinary Chinese "fish sauce" that one buys at a grocery store?

Nuoc Mam is apparently made from fermented anchovies, and the "fish sauce" that I got doesn't smell like that whatsoever.

I used it in a concoction with sugar, vinegar, tomato juice, and lemon juice. What emerged was sort of an odd sweet-and-sour sauce.

The final product with the Nuoc Mam is supposed to also be sweet & sour, but I think it should be "fishier".'

Does anyone have any experience with Nuoc Mam?

I use it all the time, & while it's technically called "fish sauce", & is made from fermented fish, it is decidedly "unfishy". You used the right stuff.

BrazenAmatuer said:
Does anyone know if Vietnamese "Nuoc Mam" fish sauce is different from the ordinary Chinese "fish sauce" that one buys at a grocery store?

Chinese fish sauce? Are you referring to Oyster sauce? If so, Thai and Vietnamese fish sauce is entirely different.

I haven't seen Chinese fish sauce, just Thai and Vietnamese. Thai is called "nam pla" and Vietnamese is called "nuoc mam," but it's essentially the same thing.

fish-sauce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom