"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
OK I cheat with Curry

I cheat and buy a curry gravy in a can its great tasting and low in salt so I find it way easier then making curry from scratch. I hate the curry powders. I will make it from scratch from time to time but this is fast and easy. I love Saag and have made it at home but its time consumming. I was wondering if I could put chopped spinish in my curry has anyone tried this. I am making chicken curry. I can just do curry and leave the spinish till a time when I have time and energy to make Saag. I just wonder if curry with spinish would work. I know its not saag but I just want something good. I don't want to ruin my curry by putting spinish in it if its not going to taste ok. I am using chicken for my curry.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Good question - I've never had spinach in my curry - I've had cilantro but not spinach so I'm not sure how it would be. I wouldn't think it would be terrible though.

I've had some canned curry products at some food shows and they were surprisingly good!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

If this is what you use Curry

We do too and it's very good, IMO.

Go ahead and try it. Like you said, it won't taste like Saag, but if you like it, that's all that matters!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Aloo (potato curry) with spinach is very tasty... check out this recipe...

http://www.recipezaar.com/108787

Indian name for spinach is "palak", so if you do a search with it you can find all sorts of interesting Indian recipes with spinach!!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
Master Chef

Palek does mean spinach but you see spinach referred to as saag quite often here.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
The brand is different I use a chinese one I think its Yeo's Very good and no MSG and low salt. I think salt is either the last item on ingredents or second to last. I find it so much better when I am trying to get a good meal when I am busy. And after its cooked it will last in the fridge for a number of days which means lots of left overs. they have a hot as well as a mild. I of course eat the hot. LOL I am the only one that will eat the left overs. I don't do it on purpose really I don't
Old 10-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Cook

OK I am going to go for it. At the worst I will know not to ever do it again and at the best I can add something else really good to my curry's Hummmm. Wish me luck and I will let you know good or bad what the outcome is.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Indian name for spinach is "palak", so if you do a search with it you can find all sorts of interesting Indian recipes with spinach!!
Handy tip Licia, thanks!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
You're welcome, Jess! How does Tony see Indian food? I don't think they are very well known among the Italian folks, Cristiano didn't know anything about them until I "introduced" him to some of my fave recipes... now he absolutely loves them!!
Here is a couple of sites with Indian food glossaries that may interest you, I tried some recipes from "saritha's", they are nice, too!!

http://www.geology.ohio-state.edu/~b...eggie_kitchen/

http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Classes/Glossary.htm
Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
You're welcome, Jess! How does Tony see Indian food? I don't think they are very well known among the Italian folks, Cristiano didn't know anything about them until I "introduced" him to some of my fave recipes... now he absolutely loves them!!
It's exactly the same way with us! Before I came along DH had never even tried Indian food! (I'm a long time fan, and experimental cook of Indian) He's much more a meat (than veg) guy so he's a fan of dishes with chicken, seafood or other meats in them like. I'm actually impressed that he's taken such a liking to Indian food, as he is one picky eater - LOL Now we have Indian as a treat once in a while - I like to finish off the meal with something coconuty, such as coconut ice cream.

Thank-you for both those links Licia; http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Classes/Glossary.htm, is such a beautiful site. I have bookmarked them both (my "food and recipe" bookmark folder must have hundreds of sites in it by now - I imagine it's the same for many amongst us )

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None