Olives: What do you do with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Buonsera, Good Afternoon,

What do you do with Olives ? Would enjoy hearing all your divine dishes, that you prepare and / or serve with Olives ...

My dishes with Olives include the following:

1. Puttanesca with Linguini
2. Olives in adobe marinade
3. A chilled shaken not stirred Polish Belevedere Vodka 100% Dry Martini with 5 olives on a bar toothpick in stemware
4. Tapenade
5. sandwiches and subs or heroes
6. Greek Salad
7. Niçoise Salad
8. An ingredient in Stuffing for veal roast
9. Snacks with an international cheese platter
10. dips
11. with hummus
12. with tzatziki
13. with babghanuj
14. Sicilian Swordfish: capers, black olives, Evoo, fresh tomato, sea salt, drizzle of white wine and lemon & fresh swigs of herbs
15. savoury pies / savoury pastries
16. with other crudities & dips or salsas
17. Turkish eggplant or aubergine pie topped with kalamata and tomatoes, a recipe given to me by a D.C. Member :yum:

Have great wkend.
Ciao,
Margi.

I stumbled upon a combination that seems to work well for a quick relish (for lack of a better term). Whilst at my baby sister's wedding, I was nibblin' at the items in the reception hall. I had just popped an olive (one of them green, salty, delicious, pimento stuffed olives) into my mouth and followed it with a green seedless grape. The flavors seemed to go well together. I decided to experiment and I have found that equal amounts of olives and grapes, chopped together by hand, makes a pretty good combination. The saltiness seems to balance well with the sweet, tangy taste of the grapes. I am uncertain of the variety of grape, but they are the ones that are oblong rather than round...almost cylindrical.
Disclaimer: I have been told that I eat some weird stuff... y'all are on your own hook.

wow Margi your list is so complete:)
I also like olives
Here in Halkidiki we have gren olives. It is easy for me to find Kalamata olives, but I prefer green because my father in law has the trees and are free of toxines.

I prepare olive tapenade, both green and black olives version.. the tapenade i use mostly as a base on pizza and when making bread.

I also make a bread with chopped olives

Hamburger breads

I just put olives in a kitchen foil, add oil, rosemary and garlic, chilli pepper close the foil and bake them for 30 minutes

Use them in salads

Cook them with metballs in domato sauce

bake them with chicken

just dizzle olive oil and chilli pepper and eat them with a glass of ouzo

well I quess it is time for us to go for a swim....:)

till tomorrow, everyone stay safe and always smile :)

Hoot,

Olives pair very well with beer or wine or other spirits ... True, saltiness and semi sweet marry quite well together in food pairing ... I like olives with Sherry ... or Vodka ... I also love olives with Proscuitto di Parma or Iberian air dried acorn fed Ham and Cheeses ... Cold cut Deli Meats in general ...

Interesting combo for an appetiser ... They are basically a fave in taverns and bars ... they also pair well with potato chips & pretzels & pistachios.

Thanks for your feedback,
Margi.

Souvlaki,

Thanks so much for your contribution and feedback on all these wonderful classic Greek meze and dishes ... I am going to have some fun, with your suggestions next week ... a practice taste testing, for the Vet and I, as the children are coming to celebrate Nathalia´s birthday 21st ... they are big olive fans too ...

I cannot wait to try out your suggestions ... Divine ...

Have great wkend,
Margi.

Last edited:
Chop them up and add them to the top of my faux foccacia. I use regular a Italian bread recipe and roll it out into a rectangle then place it in a 9x13 baking pan. Using a sharp knife I score a criss cross pattern and then top with olive oil, rosemary, chopped olives and some sea salt. Then bake. When I use it I slice it cross ways to make sandwhiches with deli meats and other goodies...

Besides what you have listed I like black olives in my red sauce at times.
I also like chorizo (the soft one),eggs,cheese and black olives together.

I make tempanade with a mix of olives myself. My MIL and wife like to eat it with slices of cucumber.

I eat them. I prefer olives that are oil cured. Here in Little Italy, you can get all sorts of olives. They are kept in big wooden barrels and you use a dipper/strainer to get them out. I even have a pitter that gets a lot of use. When I make a muffalatta for the family, I put the olives in the food processor and bring them down to mush. I use that to spread on the bread as a Tapenade instead of mayo or mustard.

I use Anne Burrell's recipe for marinated olives. They are so tasty and good. I also add olives to dips,salads, and focaccia bread along with herbs and garlic i've roasted. Olives seem to bring new life to old recips.
kades

Addie & Kades: Thanks for your contributions on olives

Buonasera Ladies,

Thank you kindly for all your contributions and feedback.

I am a big fan of Tapenade and I love Foccacia with olives ...

I also like olive oil with sea salt ...

*** See photo I took at Carme Ruscadella´s Restaurant in Sant Pau, Barcelona ... at an Olive Oil Tasting ...

Attachments

• olive oil tasting . carme ruscadella.jpg
    olive oil tasting . carme ruscadella.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 205
I adore olives.

I use them I'm several ways my faves are - in no particular order - marinated olives in olive oil, Garlic, herbs and Chillie flakes, or in Moroccan Chicken with chickpeas and rice, Tapenade and last but not least Greek Salad.

I love Kalamata and big green Queen olives .

Gravy Queen: Keen on Olives

Thank you so much for your contribution ...

Chicken and Olives is quite common in Moroccan and Spanish regional cuisine ... Sounds wonderful.

In Sicilia, I have had swordfish with olives, capers, Evoo, salt and herbs, freshly ground pepper, lemon drizzle, fresh red tomato and oven grilled or broiled ... Lovely ...

Have lovely wkend.
Margi.

I too love olives and have them in a lot of the things in your first post Margi. I made a type of rabbit tagine for friends the other night and put olives in that. I also have a favourite recipe by a British chef, Valentine Warner, for wild boar (or pork), anchovies and black olives. If you like strong gutsy flavours this is wonderful Recipes2Share - Pork, Anchovy and Black Olive Stew on Polenta.

A sea bream or sea bass cooked on top of sliced potatoes, preserved lemons, sweet peppers and olives is also wonderful.

I like all olives but especially Spanish black empeltre olives, Greek kalamata, French Nicoise.

Pissaladiere is another favourite, chopped olives in empanada, I sometimes put them in a chicken, chorizo and judion stew. In fact if I think something needs a flavour boost I will throw in a few olives.

First submarine sandwich I ever had at about age 10 (and one of the best) included the following:
shredded iceberg lettuce
Dry-cured salami (soprasetta I believe)
good bolagna
thin sliced sweet onion
vine-ripened tomato, tart variety
thin sliced green bell pepper
sliced ripe, black olives
extra virgin olive oil
thin sliced American Cheese
good submarine bread roll

My favorite Submarine sandwich:
Soft, potato bread roll
extra virgin olive oil
hot capiacola
pepperoni
soprasetta
provolone
sliced onion
sliced green bell pepper
lots of sliced, ripe black olives
black pepper
all toasted at 450'F until the bread edges start to crisp.

One of many great dishes that include olives:
Enchlada Pie
2 cups enchilada sauce (hot, not mild)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, finely diced
14 oz. black olives, chopped
1 lb. ground beef, browned
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
18 fresh corn tortillas

Spoon enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish. Soften six tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil and cover the dish bottom. Spread ground beef, onion, olives, peppers, and cheese in a single layer. Cover with sauce. Repeat, starting with more softened tortillas. use up enough of the filling ingredients to make two equal layers. Top with the remaining softened tortillas. Ladle remaining sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle on remaining olives and cheese. Bake at 375 for twenty minutes. Serve hot. Serve with sweet coconut drink and for desert, a flan would be nice.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Buonasera Ladies,

Thank you kindly for all your contributions and feedback.

I am a big fan of Tapenade and I love Foccacia with olives ...

I also like olive oil with sea salt ...

*** See photo I took at Carme Ruscadella´s Restaurant in Sant Pau, Barcelona ... at an Olive Oil Tasting ...

Looks lovely Margi :yum:

Back
Top Bottom