"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Onion Pie (onion tart)

I've been reading Game of Kings (volume 2: A Clash of Kings), a fantasy novel series set in a pesudo-mythic medieval world that in some ways (minus the fantasy) resembles our own medieval era. One aspect of the fiction has intrigued me since I am so interested in cooking and eating (as most forum members are) is the foods that the characters are described as eating. Many, most, maybe all of them are foods that were available in our own medieval times.

One dish has intrigued me and it sounds good enough that I hope to cook this some day when I return to my experimental chef mode. That dish is (as the topic title alludes to) onion pie, or AKA onion tarts. (I presume tarts are intended as individual servings, pies are intended to be sectioned and shared.)

After searching the Internet this dish seems to be based upon caramelized onions and some sort of pastry. Sometimes the pastry is wrapped or folded over (outside towards the middle) and called a tart. Other times it's a pie in our modern sense, and I think sometimes eggs are involved perhaps forming a sort of quiche.

I'm curious if any forum members have cooked such a dish, or eaten such a dish in restaurants. I can of course Google recipes and cook them, discover for myself. I'm just curious what other peoples' experiences are with onion pies.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have not cooked the dish but other forum members have. I see the difference between pie and tart in the shape of the pan. Tarts can be individual but don't have to be. This is the tart pan version and the rustic version.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I was thinking of your picture on the right. I saw similar illustrations along with various recipes I discovered using Google search. I really like the rustic look of the tart at the right. I would probably cook that vs. the traditional pie method. Or cooking a pie I imagine the usual fluted pie crust probably using the usual sweet pie crust recipe. (It goes well with my quiche recipes.)

I really like savory cooking!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I made an onion tart years ago, and it was delicious. Of course, this was pre-Recipe Box app, and I have no idea how I made it.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I was thinking of your picture on the right. I saw similar illustrations along with various recipes I discovered using Google search. I really like the rustic look of the tart at the right. I would probably cook that vs. the traditional pie method. Or cooking a pie I imagine the usual fluted pie crust probably using the usual sweet pie crust recipe. (It goes well with my quiche recipes.)

I really like savory cooking!

The rustic tart is more crust while the tart pan version is less crust. But either way, a caramelized onion tart is delicious. With mushrooms and/or Gruyere, it's a winner.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yeah the mushrooms and/or Gruyere sound great! (Gruyere is my favorite cheese).

This sounds like it would be great served with some kind of beef, perhaps a roast or a pot roast.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I made an onion tart from a swiss cookbook once. It was delicious but richer then what we were used to. I made a savory tart crust, par baked, and filled the middle with cubed fancy smoked/cured ham I got from a German sausage shop, I rendered the fat out and caramelize the onions in it and then I think a an egg or two and heavy cream and milk, salt and pepper and baked it.
If you are interested in making it I can get you the exact recipe.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks Siegal! It sounds delicious!

I'm curious how a savory pie crust would differ from a sweet pie crust. I've never made any distinction in the crusts (just the usual old fashioned recipe, with shortening) between either type of pie.

I'm more interested in experiences and ideas rather than recipes, although I certainly don't want to discourage anybody from posting anything to their heart's contentment. IMO forum discussions are not about the OP, they're about sharing interests and I always love topics that go wherever they want instead of where they started out.

So anything onion pie.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Julia Child on the French Chef (B&W) made it. She used a sheet of puff pastry and partitioned it off with anchovies in a diamond pattern over the caramelized onions. In the middle of each diamond was an olive. She made a single fold up of the crust around the edge and then fork pressed it in a somewhat fancy design. It was a true tart in that there was no egg. Very simple, yet elegant looking. The New York Times has a recipe similar to hers, only they have a yeast crust with theirs and give you the option of bacon or anchovies. Julia's is more elegant, NYT is more rustic. For A Saturday night or game day, I would make the rustic. For Sunday "come to dinner company" the elegant one would do very nicely. And actually less work. Cut into squares, a great appetizer.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Coincidentally, I was watching Laura Calder's French cooking show tonight and one of the recipes was for onion tart. This is probably a little different than what you had in mind, but it sure sounds good to me. She says you can use any kind of leftover pastry to make this.

Onion Tart Recipe : Laura Calder : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Tags
onion, pie, recipe

Onion Pie (onion tart) I've been reading [I]Game of Kings[/I] (volume 2: [I]A Clash of Kings[/I]), a fantasy novel series set in a pesudo-mythic medieval world that in some ways (minus the fantasy) resembles our own medieval era. One aspect of the fiction has intrigued me since I am so interested in cooking and eating (as most forum members are) is the foods that the characters are described as eating. Many, most, maybe all of them are foods that were available in our own medieval times. One dish has intrigued me and it sounds good enough that I hope to cook this some day when I return to my experimental chef mode. That dish is (as the topic title alludes to) onion pie, or AKA onion tarts. (I presume tarts are intended as individual servings, pies are intended to be sectioned and shared.) After searching the Internet this dish seems to be based upon caramelized onions and some sort of pastry. Sometimes the pastry is wrapped or folded over (outside towards the middle) and called a tart. Other times it's a pie in our modern sense, and I think sometimes eggs are involved perhaps forming a sort of quiche. I'm curious if any forum members have cooked such a dish, or eaten such a dish in restaurants. I can of course Google recipes and cook them, discover for myself. I'm just curious what other peoples' experiences are with onion pies. 3 stars 1 reviews