Oriental Dessert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cjs said:
Martin Yan has some great easy, fast recipes in his book - "Quick meals" (can't remember the exact title and I'm not home). One for a banana split with Asian flavors we make over and over - it's delicious.

Red Bean Buns - oh, we love those!!! Steamed or baked!

Is this it, cjs? Five Spice Pineapple Banana Split

Sounds great!

Lee

Yes, that's it, but they don't give the recipe for "Zippy Ginger Syrup" and that is so good with it. I didn't see any mention of Martin Yan with that recipe - doesn't seem right, does it??

"Dessert" is generally a Western world item.
Fortune Cookies were invented in the USA!
When I make Chinese food I like to have coconut ice cream after with lychee nuts &/or canned mandrine oranges - nice and refreshing without being heavy.

I also love the red bean buns but they are more of a snack item than a "dessert".

I can't say I am too familiar with oriental sweets, and the few I know I don't particularly care for them. The one exception is a wonderful rice pudding type squares one lady from Phillipines made. She is a mother of a pal of Guido (Cris's youngest son), and she did this for Gui's birthday party last year. It was cut in delightful green diamond shapes, made with sticky rice, pandan extract, and coconut milk. I sorely regret forgetting to ask her for recipes, as I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet!! (hint, hint... does anyone happen to know the recipe???)

urmaniac, is the Filipino dessert just simply steamed glutinous rice with coconut milk, sugar and pandan extract or with a custard layer on top?

Honestly, I can't remember the exact detail, as I only had it once almost a year ago, but it was two toned, top half was green, and it could have been a thick creamy topping (I mean thick enough to be sliced in diamond shapes and hold its form), and the bottom was a compact, white rice pudding type base. Any idea what I am talking about?? (sorry about the loose description... my poor, poor memory!!:( )

Ok urmaniac, despair no more! The dessert you are looking for is actually a Singapore/Malaysian one called Pulut Serikaya or Kuih Salat. Here is the recipe. It takes a bit of effort to prepare it but you will not be disappointed by the end result.

Oooooh, yes!! That's it Boufa! Thank you thank you thank you!! It will be one of our Sunday afternoon project very soon!!:-p :pig:

A large part of my customer base are asians. I observe their dining habits daily. When they first get to America, they bypass dessert in favour of fruit. However, after a week or two, they begin experimenting with the varieties offered. From conversations I've had, it seems many simply don't appreciate the extreme sweetness of american and european desserts. They all enjoy the ice cream, and eventually seem to enjoy cookies and brownies.

There have been oriental/chinese restaurants where I've had the option of almond cookies (which are more nutty than sweet) and red bean ice cream, which is magnificent.

It sure does, cjs! In fact it is my favourite Asian dessert. It's really irresistible!! You should try it too!

boufa06 said:
It sure does, cjs! In fact it is my favourite Asian dessert. It's really irresistible!! You should try it too!

I definetely second that!! It is delicious!;)

Back
Top Bottom