"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Any Risotto Milanese recipes? I'd like to try some of yours!

Old 01-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Any Risotto Milanese recipes? I'd like to try some of yours!
RDG posted a recipe in I think a risotto thread awhile back. Just do an advanced search and you should be able to pull it up.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Batch numero uno... (ran out of time on the gremolata though... next batch!). I did have to add a bit of roux at the end to thicken the sauce (I also strained the herbs/aromatics). Next time I will probably make a bit of roux at the beginning before the meat is put in the oven.
Yours looks interesting but very different from mine which has canned tomatoes in it and a much lighter/"thinner" sauce--not like yours which looks like a "gravy"--an ELEGANT gravy, I'm positive, but "gravy".
Old 01-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Cool, I just read RDG's recipe (Thanks a bunch Iron Chef, don't know how I missed that one when I did my previous search ). When I make risotto I normally just sweat the onions out in butter, toast the rice, and then use chicken stock with some minced herbs (like parsley & chives). Then I finish it with butter.

I'm new to the saffron, parm, and wine in the risotto. Trying to balance those flavors. I see that RDG's recipe does not include Olive Oil, but butter. I'm kicking out Olive Oil from the recipe, and I'm going to reserve the parm until after, as RDG mentions. I'm also going to cut back a bit on the saffron - I think I was using too much.

Candocook - Some of the recipes I see definetly have a much more tomatoey broth-like sauce. I guess thats some of the New England pot-o-luciousness coming out of me...

Toasting rice came natural for me... thats step 2 on the back of the Rice a Roni box. I cooked a lot of Rice a Roni growing up...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #15
Head Chef

Yeah, butter is a big thing here in Lomabardia, and used in things that normally cooking "Italian" food you would use olive oil for :) Furthermore the butter and milk products here have a very different flavour to that I am used to, having a distinctive tang as compared to butter UK/northern France/NZ butter and milk. The butter is pale and rather than creamy, yoghurty in taste in comparison. But, as you are unlikely to find Alpine butter in Massachusetts (is my guess) I would suggest you use a pale butter over a yellowy one :)
Old 01-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Hi, thanks for using my recipe for ossi buchi and risotto.....
I've not so much to add to the recipe: the use of butter, here, (as lulu says) is very common, and a "true" risotto is made with butter.
We DON'T USE red wine for ossi buchi (we use it for "stracotto" (translation: "cooked very much"), in which the meat is put in red wine for hours, and then cooked in a wine sauce for about four hours.
I can only give you some news not for ossi buchi, but for yellow rice.
In the Italian renaissance, (4-500), the noble people had the use of putting some gold sheets on foods (it' s used also now, in particular occasions). The poor people tried to imitate this use, trying to find something similar. Gold=yellow, Saffron=yellow, Gold=saffron). The same process has been used for another milanese dish, "cotoletta", a veal stheak covered with crumbled bread. May be you know it as "wienerschnitzel", but it' s from Milano (this is an old war between Milano and Wien... )
Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I just made a risotto milanese this year in Texas made the recipe out of the The Gourmet Cookbook to go along with a veal dish.The only thing I did more is add a splash of dry sherry or maybe it was white wine I dont remember but it make a better difference.I think it was Chardonney wine.
I also use a little Chardonnay in my mushroom risotto.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Still haven't gotten the chance to try out that new recipe for Risotto alla Milanese. I recently started school again and I've been busy as heck between work and school. Maybe this weekend!

RDG - The man chimes in! Thank you very much for the recipe and tips!
-----
jp - Sounds good!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I make a modified version of Marcella Hazan's recipe. Consider grinding up some dry porcini and adding it to the braise.
Mine is several modifications of a recipe from Giuliano Bugialli, and doesn't include tomatoes..... just lots and lots of onions!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe I want to make that for Valentine's Day!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
that new recipe for Risotto alla Milanese.
Nick... Risotto Milanese is a classic recipe, and pretty straightforward. What kind of variation are you considering?

Tags
None