Pan de Muerto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magia

Cook
Being today "Dia de los Muertos" (souls day) and tomorrow "Dia de los Santos" (All Saints Day) it is a tradition in Mexico to make "Pan de Muerto". I got a recipe for it, off the internet and tried to make it for the first time today... I'm not Mexican and I had never tasted it before but I just love the results. it is DELICIOUS! highly recommended. if anyone cares for the recipe, I'll be glad to translate it and post it. :twisted:

BY ALL MEANS!

And thanks for adding to this forum by translating things like this! Keep doing that!

Lifter

Re: Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead)

Magia said:
Being today "Dia de los Muertos" (souls day) and tomorrow "Dia de los Santos" (All Saints Day) it is a tradition in Mexico to make "Pan de Muerto". I got a recipe for it, off the internet and tried to make it for the first time today... I'm not Mexican and I had never tasted it before but I just love the results. it is DELICIOUS! highly recommended. if anyone cares for the recipe, I'll be glad to translate it and post it. :twisted:

According to my calendar, today is All Saints Day and tomorrow is "Day of the Dead." Which is correct?

Re: Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead)

merstarr said:
According to my calendar, today is All Saints Day and tomorrow is "Day of the Dead." Which is correct?

Yes, you are right. According to any official calendar and the Catholic Liturgy, Nov. 1st is All Saints Day and Nov. 2 is Souls Day. However, when it comes to traditions, in Central American countries, Nov. 1st is commonly known as Souls Day when, traditionaly, everyone has a family commemoration / celebration of all loved ones that have passed away. AND, Oct 31st is Souls day Eve... It is really confusing, even for a native Latin American to truly get when the traditional calendar takes place and what is when. Some say that Nov. 1st is called Saints Day to commemorate all dead children and Nov. 2 is Souls Day to commemorate dead adults. I have read 2 or 3 books about tradition and not one of them is concurring with the others... so, WHO KNOWS really :roll:

Back
Top Bottom