"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

Here;s a better picture. I like 3 Crabs.

http://importfood.com/gourmet_fish_sauce.html

You can find all kinds of weird and wonderful items in asian markets. Lots of funny jars and bottles having something to do with fish. I have no doubt that that jar of preserved/fermented fish was labeled fish sauce because often things are lost in translation.

But the fish sauce you want looks like one of the bottles above. If you want to cook Thai at home, you'll need it.

Happy cooking. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
You can find all kinds of weird and wonderful items in asian markets. Lots of funny jars and bottles having something to do with fish.
I can't help but to agree with that. I used to shop at a big Asian grocery store back in OK. Man, that place smelled weird. But, it had the greatest selection of stuff. I'm surprised I never saw my Chef in there, as I know he shopped there. I usually saw at least one person wearing Chef Whites purchasing something while I was there, usually a bottle of Srirachi.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Best story about using anchovies: My wife swore she hated anchovies. I put some in the spaghetti sauce, broke them up with a wooden spoon when I sauteed them. She loved the sauce and could not really taste them. They just add a certain...unami? to the sauce? For me it tasted like grandma's, maybe that was her secret.

I also use it in Thai dishes.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Here's a picture of the brand that I use. It's one of the most common brands and you should be able to find it almost anywhere.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
You can find all kinds of weird and wonderful items in asian markets.
Asian Markets can be great that way, if you live close to a "clean" one. Unfortunetly I usally find myself by chance not living within a reasonable distance from any "clean" ones.

I suggest if you really know what your looking for, online can be great for these types of ingredients. Also usally online ones have a higher turn over rate so dont have to worry about experation dates as much.

Just type in Fish Sauce in Google: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...8&q=fish+sauce

Third one on the list:
http://importfood.com/sati7501.html
Old 06-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Finally picked up the fish sauce and made the Panang Curry. I'm so pleased at how it turned out. I think I did add a little bit too much fish sauce and will adjust for next time. I do taste just a hint of fish. Overall the dish turned out just like it tastes when I get it out.

Here's what I did:

1c Coconut Milk (divided)
1 1/2 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp fish sauce (I used 1 1/2 - I think 1 would be just right)
hand full of sweet thai basil (maybe 1/4 cup?)
1 1/2 tbps crushed chile pepper (i like it HOT - adjust to your taste)
meat (chicken/pork/beef)
onion, green pepper

Combine and heat 1/2 c milk and curry over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until combined. Add remaining milk and ingredients, continue on medium for a few minutes until all is incorportated.

I also added 1 chicked breast (cooked, cubed), 1/2 a onion - sliced kinda thick (sweated). Served over white rice. I may add a green pepper also next time as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #17
Master Chef

Your asian market might sell Panang curry paste, which is actually a bit different than red curry paste. It probably would not make a big difference though.

http://importfood.com/cpmp1401.html

Recipe sounds good. Glad the fish sauce worked out. I am guessing you really would have noticed a difference if you left it out.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I did see the Panang curry paste next to the Red. All the recipies online that I saw for Panang all called for Red. I may try the Panang next time I make it to see if I notice any difference. I really did like the taste of the red.

I'm still new to the whole Thai cooking scene, so I have no clue about the different tastes between red, green, panang, etc curry.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Also, thought I'd mention how cheap this meal was. Probably less than $6 total for a meal for 2 people. Can't beat that!!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #20
Head Chef

Jennyma, saw the pictures of the different kinds of fish sauce. So funny, as a kid growing up, my Mom always taught me to use the squid brand for cooking, but to use the 3 crabs or golden boy brand for eating. Meaning eating at the table as a dip or using to make lime dipping fish sauce. Not sure what the rationale is for that, could be due to the slight taste difference, and the cost. Squid is usually a lot cheaper, so the 3 crabs is reserved for table dipping, you don't use as much as when you cook.

If you use 3 crabs, try this: take fish sauce and add some sugar to it, then slice up some granny smith apples and dip and eat. MAN, it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Ate this a lot as a kid.

Tags
None