"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Oh, cool!! I love papadums but I never tried making them myself, as I was also not sure how they were made. This will be another thing to try when we finally have a wood burning oven installed in our new flat!! Thanks for posing the question Chops, and thanks for your usual helpful answer, Yakuta!!

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
Head Chef
Chana Dal is considered pretty dense and hence traditional pappadums are not normally made with it. The most popular ones are moong because it's a more tender bean.

Andy, traditionally pappadums are eaten as an accompainement to dahl and rice or anything that goes with soft rice (we have our own version of risotto made with rice and moong or tur beans with some pure ghee).

In India you normally crunch it all up and add it to your dahl and rice or rice and another gravy (we call it kadhi and it's made with lots of yogurt and spices, almost like a soup). It adds a nice crunchy element to the soft food.

A traditional Indian comfort meal is a bowl of dahl, soft rice cooked with a touch of pure ghee or clarified butter, some roasted pappadums on the side and a pickle (sweet or spicy, ours are laced with a ton of spices, oil and sugar).

Indian restaurants in the West use them as a starter course with numerous sweet and savory dipping sauces but that's a very west thing.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 AM   #13
Head Chef
Thanks for the answers. I'll try the microwave method then.

Yakuta, thanks for enlightening us about the traditional way of cooking, eating and spelling pappadums! :-) (Btw I went to India last December and fell in love with dosa! Guess that's for another thread...!)

Urmaniac, a wood burning oven in your flat???!!!! Wow! Must be a very big flat! :-) I can imagine the smell of pizza and breads wafting through your new flat!
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Andy M.
How do you guy eat them?

Are they used as a wrap or torn up for dipping or what??
I'd say they are more of an accompaniment.
I love to eat fried poppadams (we call them papad here) with dal, rice with dollop of ghee on it!

When I want to make a quick snack, I deep fry the papad and thentop it with chopped tomatoes, onions, coriander leaves and sprinkle it with chaat masala. Yummy!

The Purple Foodie
Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote