"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Sharon, have you seen Simone & Ines Ortega's book?

While there are many great tapas cookbooks, their The Book of Tapas comes close to being the definitive one. Nearly 300 recipes, plus discussions. It's a really great book on the subject.

Alternatively, pick an ingredient and ask Marji for a tapas using it. I'll lay you any odds she has a recipe or six.
Hi HistoricFoodie!

Thanks for posting the book recommendation. I'll lay odds on any of your book recommendations are well worth the price paid. I can't wait to receive it from Amazon :)

Thanks!
Dan

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Margi, of course your Patatas Bravas will make it onto my table.

I love your recipes!
Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Hey, Dan. Good to see you here.

I joined only a few days ago and already find it home like. I think you'll find this a great community.

Do go over to the Introductions forum and tell the folks a little about yourself.

BTW, I had done a full review of the Ortaga book over at the other site, and you might want to read it---if you can find it in the clutter.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Smile @Gone Fishin ( Dan ): So cool to see you on D.C.

Dear Dan,

It is a pleasure to see u here online once again.

Thanks for your message and I shall get back to you after work ( lunch here is 14.30 hrs - 15.00 hrs ) ...

On the crème brulee with chai, do give Petals a note. She is the expert in the department of sweet tooth pleasures !!!

WELCOME ABOARD ... LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR POSTS TOO ...

Margi. Kindest. Regards. *** check out the BASQUE MAR MI TA KO - FISHERMENS STEW in ETHNIC SECTION ... TO DIE FOR AND GOOD. EASY TO MAKE TOO ...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Spooky I have been away and I am just about to make Huevos Rotos with some home made chorizo
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Shattered Eggs & Patatas Bravas

Buenas Tardes.

Curious - interesting.

Have you travelled through Spain ?

Thanks for the post.

Margi Cintrano.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Yes, I lived and worked in Ibiza 40 yrs ago, I took part in the anti Franco students revolt in Madrid, I visit Barcelona to meet up with old Catalan Comrades about twice a year. I dont travel in Spain as much as I used to since marriage as we have a place on Hvar the most beautiful island in the med, my brother has a place in Tuscany that we can use and my new love is Serbia.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
Executive Chef

@ Bola: Globe Trotter

I can see that you are quite a Globe Trotter with wings and wheels ...

Thanks for the message. Yes, I have work projects in Barcelona and Girona, and the Costa Brava towns in journalism sector.

I enjoy Mallorca, however, I truly do prefer Italia, Sardegna and The Adriatic Coast. My paternal family were natives of Milano.

I had come over to Madrid due to a professional offer I could not turn down several years ago, however, I fly over to Italia every chance I can, as it is my home and my cuisine.

Cintrano: My surname hails from SINATRA AND SINTRA, PORTUGAL; thus during the navigators; Vasco di Gama and Marco Polo spice routes and exploration of the East Indies, my name was formed. However, when my paternal Grandmom Margherite relocated over to NYC, the Immigration Officer spelt it with a C instead of a S ( Sintrano ). So, this is the history.
Have a nice day.
Kind regards.
Margi Cintrano
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Margi, many years ago I had the Fisherman's Stew down in New Bedford here is Massachusetts. It was in a little hole in the wall Portuguese restaurant. They also served a loaf of their bread on the table and you tore off pieces to dip into the broth. It had scallops, and all kinds of fish that are found in the waters of New England. Mostly the catch of the day including conch. I still daydream about getting back down there and finding that restaurant again. I dont' know which tasted better. The bread or the stew.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Executive Chef

@ Addie: Sounds Very Special

@ Addie,

The little Portuguese restaurant you have mentioned sounds phenomenal ... Years ago, there was a Portuguese Restaurant called The Moors, in Provincetown, Mass. It had a very similar stew ...

Now that I am living in Madrid and have had the opportunity to go to Portugal ( no longer in Spain´s Shadow ... the cuisines of Portugual are stunning and the seafood products, superb ); I had posted this, as it is similar to Galician cuisine, which is just north of Portugual on the Atlantic Coast.

I love Portuguese regional cuisine. They make codfish 365 ways and their souvenir is a calendar with their recipes ( In English as they speak very well ).

What type of beans do you use ? White or Red ?

Portugual is the home of FEI JO A DA which is a Portuguese and Brazilian meat bean stew ... In the northeast, they normally use red and in northwest white and in Brazil, black or Pinto Beans.

FEIJOADA signifies Pot au Feu or Cassoulet in French and / or Hot Pot Stew in English, all in a bowl ... though now, it is customary to serve meats separate and let the guests select what they wish to put in their stew or bowl ... many people are semi vegetarian or do not this or that.

HAPPY VALENTINE´s
M.C.

Tags
None