"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Patatas Bravas - Brave Spicy Potato Chunks

Patatas Bravas - Brave Spicy Potatoes

This Spanish Tapa ( appetiser, minature plate or small plate, meze or mezedes ) is one of the most sought after.

Here is my family recipe:

1 kilo potatoes for frying - cut into thick chunks

extra virgin olive oil ( I use: 100% hojiblanca for its fruitiness and non bitterness )

2 tblsps all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika piquant or sweet or a mix; or La Vera Pimentón available in Latin American Groceries from Spain ( La Vera, EXtremadura )

Home made beef stock ( 8 Fl. ounces )

2 tblsps vinegar white wine variety

1 dried variety of chili pepper ( cayenne flakes can be used ) and / or a variety of a green and a red fresh chili pepper, sliced very thin and prepared in the sauce.

salt

1 tomato ripe peeled, seeded and mixed by blender to create a coulis thick sauce

a) fry the potato chunks on low heat, 30 minutes.

b) just before the end of the cooking time, turn up the flame on the potatoes to golden brown crisp the potato chunks

c) transfer to platter after draining oil and placing on absorbent paper towelling

d) prepare the sauce as follows: heat 1 tblsp of olive oil in skillet and add flour, paprika and beef stock stirring constantly

e) then add the vinegar, chili pepper and cook 8 to 10 mins. stirring with wooden spoon constantly

f) check seasoning and then add the coulis of tomato and remove from stove

g) serve this hot sauce with the potatoes and the Spanish Omelette on Thread prior, with an ice cold beer of choice and / or a red wine of choice.

*** note: Brava Sauce should be thick, like a salsa consistency, not liquidy.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Ooooh. Thanks for this. I love recipes for tapas.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Sharon, have you seen Simone & Ines Ortega's book?

While there are many great tapas cookbooks, their The Book of Tapas comes close to being the definitive one. Nearly 300 recipes, plus discussions. It's a really great book on the subject.

Alternatively, pick an ingredient and ask Marji for a tapas using it. I'll lay you any odds she has a recipe or six.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Sous Chef

>>>>Simone & Ines Ortega's Book of Tapas
I looked it up at Amazon - That does look like an amazing book. The one I have is "The Tapas Cookbook" published by Paragon - has about 100 recipes and for $6.75 is not bad at all - great photos.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Sous Chef

My daughter is planning to prepare Tapas for an engagement party for her friend. Now, 3/4 of Emily's circle of friends are vegetarian, so I'm looking for things especially for that party right now. They all eat seafood, thank heaven.

Is there another sauce that would be suitable for the Patatas Bravas? Of course, they wouldn't exactly be Brave Spicy Potatoes without the sauce!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Spanish Sauces for Tapas ( For: Sharon )

Dear Sharon, ( Monday 19.30 Hours - Spain time )

I just received ur post regarding sauces for tapas for a party.

1) Ali Oli: this is a homemade mayonnaise, which is simple to prepare and I have added sun dried tomatoes to mine ... However, you could also add Gorgonzola blue cheese perhaps ... or just call it Homemade Mayonnaise or ALI OLI ...

My recipe with Sundried tomatoes Ali Oli, a thick mayonnaise I use on grilled cheese and thus, is on thread: Grilled Cheese.

2) Another is Romesco which is a historically traditional sweet bell red pepper, hazelnut and tomato coulis which a well known Chef which I interviewed had given me.

Tapas:

Fried Calamari which is very popular here in Madrid Capital

The Spicy Potatoes ( u could leave out the cayenne and call it Home made Ketchup )

Spanish Omelette and u can employ bacon to serve on side or ham and or sausage or better yet, a stunner salad to go with it and great crusty bread ... it is quite filling ... ( I posted it Sunday In Ethnic Foods )

Another lovely Tapa is: Punta de Solomillo which is sirlion strips grilled and marinated in a little white wine or Sherry

Shrimps in garlic with olive oil served in little clay dishes
( gambas al ajillo ) --- leave out the cayenne if it is too hot

Goat cheese slightly melted on a bed of honey drizzled carmalized onion coulis - this is a contemporary tapa in XXI century gastro bars, bars owned by well known chefs, due to crisis.

Here is the simple ALI OLI:

4 Cloves of garlic
salt to taste
5 Fl. ounces of extra virgin olive oil

1) in mortar, mash the garlic with salt to form a smooth thick paste.
2) add the oil a few drops at a time, slowly until a white emulsion forms.
3) once the emulsion forms, the concoction does not need anymore oil.
4) please do not use Food Processor, as it causes the eggs to separate.

Please see separate post for the ROMESCO sweet pepper coulis with hazelnuts.

Margi.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Apologies Sharon: forgot the gals do not eat red meat

Message 2 ... Monday.

*** Spanish Omelette : this cut in triangles, can feed 10 to 12 easy ...

*** Calamari fried: this is easy

*** The fried Potatoes chunks with homemade ketchup and homemade mayonnaise

*** a big salad with the carmalized onions and honey with melted cheese; could use Buffalo Mozzarella or Provolone ... if goat cheese is not their palate ... and a big salad for the Omelette ...

Margi.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I don't know that particular book, Sharon. But that doesn't mean much, as there are dozens of them dealing with the subject. In addition to tapas, look for titles that have the words "mezze," "small plates," and even "appetizers."

I'm a small plate fiend, and probably have two dozen books on that topic. A couple of my faves, in addition to the Ortega book, are:

-Joanne Weir's From Tapas to Mese, which explores the small plates offerings from all over the Mediterranean region.

-Kate Heyhoe's Great Bar Food At Home, which includes some concepts and recipes unlike many others I've seen.

-Gerald Hirigoyen's Pintxos, because of its Basque orientation.

There's no doubt in my mind that numerous members here at DC are into small plates, by whatever name. I suggest that if you start a new thread, something like: Tapas Party Ideas Wanted, that you'll get all sorts of suggestions.

One question that needs answering: You say most of these kids are vegetarians, but do eat seafood. Does that mean they are actually vegetarians? Or do they just not eat red meat? It can make a big difference.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
One question that needs answering: You say most of these kids are vegetarians, but do eat seafood. Does that mean they are actually vegetarians? Or do they just not eat red meat? It can make a big difference.
I think "pescatarian" is the type of vegetarian some of them are... those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish, and I hope that includes shellfish because I don't know how we'd do tapas without GAMBAS AL AJO!

THANKS for other cookbook titles!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
1) Ali Oli: this is a homemade mayonnaise, which is simple to prepare and I have added sun dried tomatoes to mine ... However, you could also add Gorgonzola blue cheese perhaps ... or just call it Homemade Mayonnaise or ALI OLI ...
Found it - thank you! I had already saved the posted Spanish Tortilla recipe, which looks great.

Tags
None