1. Loosen the skin from the duck by massaging it,
pulling the skin away where possible.
2. Blanch the duck for a couple of minutes.
3. Hang it up to dry for 4 hours, then baste it with
sherry or with honey−water 1/2 and 1/2 mixture. Hang
it up again to dry for 4 hours.
4. Roast duck using the following times and temperatures:
30 min. at 375F, then
1 hour at 250F, then
30 min at 400F
The rationale for this I'm not sure of, but all
recipes claim that changing the oven temperature makes
a vast difference.
5. To serve − slice off skin and cut it into 1"x2"
pieces. Cut meat into similar−sized pieces. Provide 2"
scallion lengths (green and white part), hoisin sauce
(canned or bottled), and mandarin pancakes. Each diner
rolls a bit of meat, a bit of skin, and a scallion
length into a pancake that has been spread with about
a teaspoon of hoisin sauce with the scallion and eats
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !