"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I never do, you don't want the doug to be puffy, idealy dough should be very thin. The idea is to make dough as thin as posible and strech so you can put as much filling as possible. Otherwise you'll be eating too much pasta, and what's the point of that.
I don't know if I can explain how I was taught to fill the circle. But, you take the circle in one hand, the filling in the other. Put the filling 1/3 down on the circle of dough, pull the center of the circle up (and I always put the stickiest side in), then go to one corner, stuff any filling that is outside in with your ring finger, and squeeze back to the top of the circle. Go to the other corner, and stuff any filling back in with your ring finger and pinch all around and then pinch all around again so no stuffing sticks out. It is easier to show s/one how to do it than to explain it.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

When I used to attend the banquet at the Polish Club, some of the pirogies had hand crimped edges and some didn't. Most didn't. The women noticed, the men didn't care. The smart men took one pirogies from each tray. The smarter ones only took the ones their wife had made. Women chose by the filling.

This banquet wasn't about the installation of the newly elected officers. It was all about the "War of the Pirogies." Whatever the reason, I was always happy to attend and listen to most of the boring speeches. I swear it was the social event of the year.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made.
On a visit to Saskatchewan, I bought one of those perogie presses that makes those crimped edges. I imagine I still have it, I just never think to use it when I make perogies, I kind of enjoy the process of hand pinching the edges. One could use a fork and make those fancy marks, but I usually do 12-13 dozen at a time, so that would just make the day longer!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #105
Master Chef

My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.
Charlie, if one chooses to put meat in them, do you cook the meat first?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie, if one chooses to put meat in them, do you cook the meat first?
I've never seen a recipe for meat-filled pierogies using raw meat.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #108
Master Chef

Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never seen a recipe for meat-filled pierogies using raw meat.
Thank you. I wasn't sure, because I thought maybe the boiling cooked the meat. Mashed potatoes with a mixture of loosely cooked meatball mixture. Or a meatloaf mix. My mind is running amok!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.
I would rather be from The Ukraine. Siberia is too cold in the winter. And as far as the Chinese? Who cares about them?

Tags
None