"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I never do, you don't want the doug to be puffy, idealy dough should be very thin. The idea is to make dough as thin as posible and strech so you can put as much filling as possible. Otherwise you'll be eating too much pasta, and what's the point of that.
I don't know if I can explain how I was taught to fill the circle. But, you take the circle in one hand, the filling in the other. Put the filling 1/3 down on the circle of dough, pull the center of the circle up (and I always put the stickiest side in), then go to one corner, stuff any filling that is outside in with your ring finger, and squeeze back to the top of the circle. Go to the other corner, and stuff any filling back in with your ring finger and pinch all around and then pinch all around again so no stuffing sticks out. It is easier to show s/one how to do it than to explain it.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
When I used to attend the banquet at the Polish Club, some of the pirogies had hand crimped edges and some didn't. Most didn't. The women noticed, the men didn't care. The smart men took one pirogies from each tray. The smarter ones only took the ones their wife had made. Women chose by the filling.

This banquet wasn't about the installation of the newly elected officers. It was all about the "War of the Pirogies." Whatever the reason, I was always happy to attend and listen to most of the boring speeches. I swear it was the social event of the year.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made.
On a visit to Saskatchewan, I bought one of those perogie presses that makes those crimped edges. I imagine I still have it, I just never think to use it when I make perogies, I kind of enjoy the process of hand pinching the edges. One could use a fork and make those fancy marks, but I usually do 12-13 dozen at a time, so that would just make the day longer!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #105
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.
Charlie, if one chooses to put meat in them, do you cook the meat first?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie, if one chooses to put meat in them, do you cook the meat first?
I've never seen a recipe for meat-filled pierogies using raw meat.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #108
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never seen a recipe for meat-filled pierogies using raw meat.
Thank you. I wasn't sure, because I thought maybe the boiling cooked the meat. Mashed potatoes with a mixture of loosely cooked meatball mixture. Or a meatloaf mix. My mind is running amok!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.
I would rather be from The Ukraine. Siberia is too cold in the winter. And as far as the Chinese? Who cares about them?
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.