"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

Alix, 1/4" is very thick, very-very thick for the dough. In Ukraine you'd be fired as a cook.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Urmaniac, if it counts, mine is direct from the Ukraine.
Wow... I just did a quick search and yeah, there are also Ukrainian pierogies... I didn't know!! Probably some of the eastern european dishes are kinda mingled and spread around the way many of the mediterranean items do. That was a lesson of the day!!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Alix, 1/4" is very thick, very-very thick for the dough. In Ukraine you'd be fired as a cook.
it could have been a confusion between centimetre and inch when the recipe was translated... that makes more sense ... 1/4 cm (2,5mm), though it seems to be still on a thick side...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Wow... I just did a quick search and yeah, there are also Ukrainian pierogies... I didn't know!! Probably some of the eastern european dishes are kinda mingled and spread around the way many of the mediterranean items do. That was a lesson of the day!!
No-no-no, it is Ukrainian pierogies (that are, by the way, called Vareniki) that spread out to miditerranian, otherwise you guys'd be eating tomatoes only, (just joking)
Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

P.S. no confusion on thickness, they should not be more than 1/8" thick. 1/4" is about 6mm
Old 02-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Everymom

Oh for goodness sakes...I said LESS than 1/4 inch! I don't measure my dough, I just roll it. LOL. 1/8 is pretty thin and you will need to be pretty careful with your filling if you roll it that thin. Get it CLOSE to that. This is not an exact science by any means.

Also, this dough will spring back when you roll it so expect that to happen. The idea is to roll it out and get the rough shape and then shape it with your hands when you fill it.

I like to cut the dough into squares and then make a sort of pocket in the center and then seal it corner to corner so you have little triangular shaped dumplings.

Charlie, you goofball! I'd be fired for sure since I wouldn't cook that 50 year old beef! LMAO. And my Guido called the potato stuffed ones perohe, not vareniki. He called something else vareniki...the sweet ones I think.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
Master Chef

Okay, I went and posted on mine other forum (the russian one) to get the vareniki thing cleared. I tend to think that it has to do more with location, more than anything. If you lived closer to Poland, then you'd call it pirogi, if one is from more eastern part of ukrain, then it is vareniki. BTW I love vareniki with all types of fillings.

Oh, and the thiner the dough the better.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
Everymom

Thanks Charlie, I suspected it would be something like a regional difference.

OK, related question for you. Do you ever eat the dough bits that break off the perohe? And what do you call them?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

If your dough is springing back when you roll it roll it out some then let it rest a few minutes then continue rolling it should roll out fine then.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #20
Head Chef

I made them and they were WONDERFUL! Thank you Alix for your dough recipe.

I used leftover garlic mashed tators. I added green onions, sour cream, shredded colby jack and crumbled bacon. If I wasn't stuffed, I'd be eating more right now!!

One more question: I have extra dough. Is there anything I can do with it besides toss it?

Thanks!

Tags
None