Perogies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll weigh the flour tomorrow (or Sunday--I might make the filling tomorrow instead of tonight) when I make the dough. And, just for you, TL, I picked up an extra container of sour cream to try making the dough with wholewheat flour.:chef:I am thinking I might have to add a bit of cream of tartar or baking soda to the flour...

Gosh, now the pressure is on--not only have I committed to making perogies, I have to take pictures and measure / weigh everything! Should this be a "perogie cookoff" challenge? Ha-ha, CharlieD has the advantage. I'm of Scandinavian heritage, trust me, perogies were not part of my culinary experience growing up.
If it gets to be too much, then don't worry about it.

I would try the recipe the way it is written, just plain substitute whole grain for the AP flour. That's what I have been doing with most recipes for years and years. Sure, I use pastry flour for some stuff and bread flour for other stuff, but I haven't found that much, if anything, usually needs to be changed.

This like RockLobster's onion soup...

First you make the filling. I started with 1.5 lb of thickly sliced bacon...9 cups of potatoes, 1 c onion, 1 c shredded cheese (upped that to 2), 2 c rinsed and squeezed dried sauerkraut, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1 tsp ground garlic, ground black pepper, 1 tsp dry mustard. I used sour cream, butter, milk, some bacon fat to mash the potatoes. Lots of pics--sorry. I like the little kick of cayenne pepper. Now to shape the filling and chill it. Those pics to follow.

Attachments

• perogies 066.jpg
    perogies 066.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 173
  • perogies 073.jpg
    perogies 073.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 175
  • perogies 074.jpg
    perogies 074.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 150
  • perogies 076.jpg
    perogies 076.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 185
  • perogies 083.jpg
    perogies 083.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 184
I let the filling cool for about 20 minutes. The quantity I made (9 c potatoes before mashing + 2 c sauerkraut + cheese + onions + bacon) = 10 dozen portions of filling.

Attachments

• perogies_2 087.jpg
    perogies_2 087.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 182
  • perogies_2 086.jpg
    perogies_2 086.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 164
Now I'm taking a nap while the dw runs and the filling sets...

What do you mean "while the filling sets" , is this something you have to do and why.

Your pictures are great !!!

I like when recipes are done like this with the quantities of each, this way you get consistency.

Like I tell my wife, I don"t have recipes, I have Formulas... LOL

Thanks for the pics

What do you mean "while the filling sets" , is this something you have to do and why.

Your pictures are great !!!

I like when recipes are done like this with the quantities of each, this way you get consistency.

Like I tell my wife, I don"t have recipes, I have Formulas... LOL

Thanks for the pics
I'd like to say there is a reason for it, but the best reason I can come up with is that I'd like a nap and the drone the DW makes puts me to sleep! The filling is in the fridge so it will be firmer when I go to wrap the dough around it. Ideally, I let the filling sit overnight, but since I was too lazy to make the filling last night (although I did do the bacon and peel the potatoes), the filling is setting in the fridge until later this afternoon. The filling is covered so it won't dry out. I don't know that you have to let the filling set, but that is how I was taught to make perogies with mashed potato filling.

Last edited:
As far as draining goes, I just leave the cabage in the colander for maybe half an hour and it stays there as i make the pirogies. It is not too big of a deal. It is just with too much liquid the dough might open up/not close right.
Potato filling I used to boil the whole potato and put thru the meat grinder with some sauteed onion, I do not do that anymore, either the potato I buy is not good or I do not know what but it is just too gooie (sp?). I am making plain mashed potato nowadays and siply mix in some sauteed onions in. There is really no real proportions. It is potato make it so it tastes good to you. I know there are a lot of recipes that call for cottage cheese in the mixture, I hate that. I do like pirogies with cheese but not cheese potato together.

Charlie, I had talked to some people and they said that they cut the cabbage and fry it with onions and some garlic and as the water comes out of the cabbage they let it cook down and evaporate so that they have a dry sort of cabbage left by cooking out the moisture.

I have steamemed it and put it in towels to wring it dry, but this is time consuming and it turned out awful as far as I was concerned. I am thinking of using a potato ricer to squeeze out the water next time. Any thoughts on this.

I make a ravioli which is an old family recipe with chicken and pork filling and I also have to have the right moisture consistency so it is not too wet for the dough and it has to be easy to handle when stuffing the shells.

I use bottled sauerkraut. I drain it then soak it in potato water for about 30 minutes. Irinse it well, ring it out in cotton towels. Then flavor it how I want for use in my pierogi. It works out really well. Of course, there's bacon in it, as well as onion and a little potato.

We're having Pierogi Day here in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Charlie, I had talked to some people and they said that they cut the cabbage and fry it with onions and some garlic and as the water comes out of the cabbage they let it cook down and evaporate so that they have a dry sort of cabbage left by cooking out the moisture.

I have steamemed it and put it in towels to wring it dry, but this is time consuming and it turned out awful as far as I was concerned. I am thinking of using a potato ricer to squeeze out the water next time. Any thoughts on this.

I make a ravioli which is an old family recipe with chicken and pork filling and I also have to have the right moisture consistency so it is not too wet for the dough and it has to be easy to handle when stuffing the shells.

Your ravioli sounds like a perfect example for the cabbage filling. That is how it should be, "right moisture consistency".

I never do, you don't want the doug to be puffy, idealy dough should be very thin. The idea is to make dough as thin as posible and strech so you can put as much filling as possible. Otherwise you'll be eating too much pasta, and what's the point of that.

JanaAZ when and where is the Pierogi Day, time, date and place ?
We hold it once a year...often on Palm Sunday. It can be anywhere in Arizona. This year it's in Phx. We have a lot of fun. Everybody brings their favorite Polish (or mock-Polish) dish to share and by the end of the day we're in a food coma.

TL--the 750 ml yogurt container is 500 ml of AP flour, 400 ml of whole wheat. I ended up adding about 35 ml more AP flour to the dough.

Attachments

• perogies_03 003.jpg
    perogies_03 003.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 158
  • perogies_03 007.jpg
    perogies_03 007.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 177
  • perogies_03 008.jpg
    perogies_03 008.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 151
  • perogies_03 012.jpg
    perogies_03 012.jpg