"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #51
Master Chef

Alix, he is talking about completely different thing, Petuhee is what he is saying, are not perogy/perohe. I never heard it called that. Petuhee is a word that means roosters.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #52
Everymom

Charlie, I think it must be a dialectical thing. What he is describing is EXACTLY what we always called "pet e he". However, when spelled out it looks different.

You are a little closer to the "old country" than the rest of us. I do suspect however that there are regional differences in pronunciation and then when folks emigrate their pronunciation changes even further as they learn a new language and their kids (and grandkids) learn the words a bit differently.

Brandon's word, as I said, is exactly how we have pronounced it, and his description is what we make too.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #53
Everymom

Peppermint leaves? Have you ever done that mish?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #54
Everymom

Nope, I'm a purist. I only ever do cheese and potato filling. I've tried lots of other ones, (including a sauerkraut filling) but the potato is just the way to go IMO. I was just curious about the mint taste in there.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #55
Master Chef

okay, ladies when are you going to be making all of the above, i'm coming over. i love vareniki, oh fine call them perohy, but not peetuhy. i actually just made some with potato, of course by the time i got home the all potatoes were gone, all that was left was meat, but i did not like eat. the leftover meat i had was ot the best tasting meat.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #56
Master Chef

Ah, who needs liver it's cholesterol in it's purist form. I think even shmaltz is healthier. I do not like liver. But kosher Liver bratwurst I had in Issrael was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good and it remind me of my childhood that I would not mind some of that right now. I like to use stewed chicken for filling, if it's meat filling.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

I just scanned through this thread…between making dinner (beef stew and dumplings) and chasing my three year old son, Avery. Thought I would add a Rumanian twist to the mix. This recipe comes from a book produced by my grandma’s church back in the 60’s or 70’s I would guess. The recipe was submitted by Count Dracula (LOL) and is for “Roumanian Perogies”

4 cups flour
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil

Mix like pie crust.

Add:
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups warm water

Mix to a soft dough. Let stand for 15 minutes, cover with a bowl before rolling out.

I usually will make a large batch and freeze as them on floured cookie sheets and then pop them into freezer bags for later.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Alix, he is talking about completely different thing, Petuhee is what he is saying, are not perogy/perohe. I never heard it called that. Petuhee is a word that means roosters.
It may be they called them Petuhee which means Rooster, because the look like the Comb on the roosters head...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow, 2006 thread!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Wow, 2006 thread!
Yeah! It always amazes me how very old threads are revived.

Tags
None