Perogies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never do, you don't want the doug to be puffy, idealy dough should be very thin. The idea is to make dough as thin as posible and strech so you can put as much filling as possible. Otherwise you'll be eating too much pasta, and what's the point of that.
I don't know if I can explain how I was taught to fill the circle. But, you take the circle in one hand, the filling in the other. Put the filling 1/3 down on the circle of dough, pull the center of the circle up (and I always put the stickiest side in), then go to one corner, stuff any filling that is outside in with your ring finger, and squeeze back to the top of the circle. Go to the other corner, and stuff any filling back in with your ring finger and pinch all around and then pinch all around again so no stuffing sticks out. It is easier to show s/one how to do it than to explain it.

When I used to attend the banquet at the Polish Club, some of the pirogies had hand crimped edges and some didn't. Most didn't. The women noticed, the men didn't care. The smart men took one pirogies from each tray. The smarter ones only took the ones their wife had made. Women chose by the filling.

This banquet wasn't about the installation of the newly elected officers. It was all about the "War of the Pirogies." Whatever the reason, I was always happy to attend and listen to most of the boring speeches. I swear it was the social event of the year. :angel:

Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made. :angel:

Just curious. Does anyone make the fancy folding crimp style edging? It almost looks machine made. :angel:
On a visit to Saskatchewan, I bought one of those perogie presses that makes those crimped edges. I imagine I still have it, I just never think to use it when I make perogies, I kind of enjoy the process of hand pinching the edges. One could use a fork and make those fancy marks, but I usually do 12-13 dozen at a time, so that would just make the day longer!

My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.

My mom and two girls made about 100 today. Simple recipe.

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.

Charlie, if one chooses to put meat in them, do you cook the meat first? :angel:

Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.

I've never seen a recipe for meat-filled pierogies using raw meat.

Thank you. I wasn't sure, because I thought maybe the boiling cooked the meat. Mashed potatoes with a mixture of loosely cooked meatball mixture. Or a meatloaf mix. My mind is running amok! :angel:

Ah, here is the thing, if you are from Ukraine, you use cooked meat. I you are Russian, especially from Siberia, you use raw meat (mostly pork, but any other will work too), they called Pelmeni. You can use same dough recipe. It is so simple it works with any kind of fillings.
There is a great debate if Russians stole the recipe from Chinese or Chinese stole recipe from Russians making the won tons which are very much the same product.
Of course each side defends thinks they are right.
As far as I am concern, I love both.

I would rather be from The Ukraine. Siberia is too cold in the winter. And as far as the Chinese? Who cares about them? :angel:

Actually Chinese is my favorite food, afetr Ukrainian/Russian, maybe even equal.

The Ukraine/Russian culture has some very earth comfort foods. As do most of the countries in the Balkan area. I love the black bread. It is probably the only bread I do like. Chinese rice almost killed me. I will never eat it again. :angel:

My gosh, what happened. Chineese rice is the only rice I really like. I do not eat rice otherwise, well sushi and rice pilaff, that's it.

My gosh, what happened. Chineese rice is the only rice I really like. I do not eat rice otherwise, well sushi and rice pilaff, that's it.

The fried rice I had was soaking in grease. Anytime you eat fried foods, your gall bladder sends out bile to handle the grease. My gall bladder not only tried to send out a large amount of bile, it also picked up a gall stone that got lodged in the duct. Not a good thing. They didn't want to do surgery do to my age and my heart condition. So it was a wait and see. They waited too long. They had to do CPR on me. I will never eat Chinese food again. Almost all their foods are done in a wok with grease. Since then my two frying pans are in semi retirement. I use it for a grilled cheese sandwich, a can of hash, (no grease needed) and never anything that requires oil in the pan first. I eat my eggs scrambled now or boiled, maybe one half piece of bacon for a BLT. You get the idea. :angel:

The fried rice I had was soaking in grease. Anytime you eat fried foods, your gall bladder sends out bile to handle the grease. My gall bladder not only tried to send out a large amount of bile, it also picked up a gall stone that got lodged in the duct. Not a good thing. They didn't want to do surgery do to my age and my heart condition. So it was a wait and see. They waited too long. They had to do CPR on me. I will never eat Chinese food again. Almost all their foods are done in a wok with grease. Since then my two frying pans are in semi retirement. I use it for a grilled cheese sandwich, a can of hash, (no grease needed) and never anything that requires oil in the pan first. I eat my eggs scrambled now or boiled, maybe one half piece of bacon for a BLT. You get the idea. :angel:

Is that the only time you've had fried rice? It sounds like you got a really bad batch. I've never had fried rice that was swimming in oil. And the benefit of wok cooking is that it doesn't need a lot of fat for cooking. The shape of the pan and the high heat do the cooking.

Seems to me that grilled cheese has more grease than fried rice. It's not deep-fried, after all :LOL:

Is that the only time you've had fried rice? It sounds like you got a really bad batch. I've never had fried rice that was swimming in oil. And the benefit of wok cooking is that it doesn't need a lot of fat for cooking. The shape of the pan and the high heat do the cooking.

Seems to me that grilled cheese has more grease than fried rice. It's not deep-fried, after all :LOL:

No. I have been eating Chinese food since I was a kid. And rice is one of my favorite foods. The grilled cheese is done with a very small pat of butter for both sides. It is more toasted in the pan than sautéed. Believe me, I am so ever careful when I have any food that grease is part of the food. I still have to have my gall bladder removed. But they are waiting for the next attack. That was the first one I ever had. Not looking forward to the next one. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom