"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #71
Master Chef

I do not have patience to make a lot. Too busy usually anyways. Make enough for family dinner is as much as I can handle, (leftover dough goes into pasta) unless my mother, she should be alive and well, comes over and she makes me seat and keep making them. Then I can go for a hundred or so, while she makes about 2 hundred at the same time.
But it really is a good time for the reminder; I am planning on making some meat pierohies’ this Sunday. Whoever dug this thread out thank you.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I like making a casserole with perogies. I lay some fried onions in a casserole, perogies, thin layer of sour cream, then sauerkraut topped with bacon. Bake this on high until the top gets a bit crispy..It shouldn't take long because everything except the sour cream should be assembled while freshly cooked and still hot...
You're killin me rock! That sounds deeeelectable!!

Trader Joe's carries perogies so I won't be going to the trouble of making them right now because I MUST make your casserole ASAP!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

The perogie casserole I make uses about 1 lb of perogies, 2 large onions, sliced thin, 1 c sliced fresh mushrooms, 2 c of diced tomatoes (I use ones I've frozen, but you could use canned). I thaw the perogies in the microwave for about 10 minutes. I then boil the perogies for about 5 minutes. While the perogies are thawing, I saute the onion and mushroom. I then add 1 c chicken or vegetable stock, parsley, and the tomatoes. Simmer that for about 5 minutes. Dump the perogies into a greased casserole dish, top with the tomato-onion mixture, cover, and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Sometimes I add chopped cooked bacon.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

What kind do you make Charley D, I am looking for a good cabbage recipe, but I need to know the yield for 4 inch circle. Does anyone have one ?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #75
Master Chef

Do not have exact measurements. I usually saute some onions till golden brown, add cabbage, coleslaw is a convenient to use, and keep sauteing, when slaw reduced I add a little bit of sour crouwt and keep cooking stirring occasionally until it is brown in color. season to taste, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. when ready put it into a colander and let it drain well, you do not want liquid when making pirogies.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #76
Assistant Cook

How well does it have to drain?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

CharlieD, I was thinking of draining some of my homemade sauerkraut and adding some that to the potato filling...my thought was to rinse the 'kraut and wring it out in a clean dish cloth like one does with frozen spinach...the only time I tried sauerkraut filling, it was too wet (now I know why).

Also, has anyone made the dough with whole wheat flour? I usually use AP but am trying to eliminate "white" from my diet. BTW, I freeze the leftover dough and it works fine to make more perogies later. The potato filling, however, does not freeze well.

I'm counting out how many potatoes are in a 10 lb bag...I'm dividing that by 2/5 (I have two tubs of sour cream) so that I make 2/5ths of the batch I normally make with a 10 lb bag of potatoes. I'll let you know how much filling I got out of those potatoes.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Do not have exact measurements. I usually saute some onions till golden brown, add cabbage, coleslaw is a convenient to use, and keep sauteing, when slaw reduced I add a little bit of sour crouwt and keep cooking stirring occasionally until it is brown in color. season to taste, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. when ready put it into a colander and let it drain well, you do not want liquid when making pirogies.
+1 you've seen my recipe--no exact measurements for that, either. Like you probably learned to make perogies from your mom (and we won't even try to explain the technique for wrapping the dough around the filling), I learned how to make perogies under the tutelage of an experienced perogie maker.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #79
Assistant Cook

Charles,
What do you put in your potato filling, and what proportions
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
CWS, I'm confused. Do you mean 750 ml of flour for each 500 ml tub of sour cream? Any idea how much 750 ml of flour weighs?
I'll weigh the flour tomorrow (or Sunday--I might make the filling tomorrow instead of tonight) when I make the dough. And, just for you, TL, I picked up an extra container of sour cream to try making the dough with wholewheat flour.I am thinking I might have to add a bit of cream of tartar or baking soda to the flour...

Gosh, now the pressure is on--not only have I committed to making perogies, I have to take pictures and measure / weigh everything! Should this be a "perogie cookoff" challenge? Ha-ha, CharlieD has the advantage. I'm of Scandinavian heritage, trust me, perogies were not part of my culinary experience growing up.

Tags
None