Persian Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Jujeh Kabab recipe I put together and settled on tasted amazing. It's based on a staple citrus, garlic, and herb marinade I make - but with some interesting additions that lend a Persian flavor.

1/4-C Canola Oil
2-T Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
2-T Freshly Squeezed Onion Juice
1/2-t Garlic Paste
1/2-t Marjoram
1/2-t Kosher Salt
1/2-t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
15 Saffron Pistils (Use HQ stuff - Kashmiri Mogra)
1-T Hot Water

Grind the saffron with a mortar & pestle then add 1-T of hot water to the mortar (stir with the pestle). Process a small common onion in a food processor to a paste consistency, then squeeze out the juices into a bowl through a flour sack towel. Grind some garlic into paste using some kosher salt and the side of a chef's knife. Whisk all ingredients together, then pour over butterflied chicken breasts in a ziplock bag. Marinate for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.

Grill the chicken over hot charcoal, flip once the chicken releases itself from the grate. Cook 1 additional minute. Remove and rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes. Eat!

-----

EDIT: As a side note, the processed onion solids can be used in the above Kabab-e Kubideh recipe.

Last edited:
Do you guys like tabouleh? It's my favorite Persian salad. Can you post the ingredients? :)

I do, but from my reading Tabbouleh is much more common outside of modern day Iran extending throughout the Middle East to Turkey. I believe it is "recognized" as a Lebanese dish, although variations exist (as they often do) in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Armenia, etc.

The traditional Persian salad/app is Nan-o Panir-o Sabzi-Khordan. Bread, fresh cheese, and lot's of herbs. Nuts, radishes, and scallions are also common. You break off a piece of bread, cut a slice of the cheese, put some fresh herbs on it, fold and eat.

That said, my favorite Persian salad is Shirazi. It's similar to Tabbouleh in a way. There is no Bulgur, a lot less parsley, but more cucumbers and tomatoes (and finely minced red onion). Some mint is often added (as it is in some Tabbouleh), but lime juice is often used instead of lemon. I also like when Persian Panir is broken up into it. Then you scoop it up with some Persian Nan and chow down!

Back
Top Bottom