"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Phall curry

Inspired by an episode of "Man vs Food", I am in search of an authentic recipe for Phall curry-can anyone help? I should mention that I have never made any kind of Indian food, so I am likely woefully short of the required spices, but I will get them.

Any food that requires you to wear a gas mask while cooking it has got to be good!!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I saw that episode last night.
Only in my dreams could I come close to that place!
My stomach just can't do indian.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I've never tried Indian, but I have to say I'm curious....plus I love the endorphin rush!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Funny thought/vision.
I think if I walked into a restaurant where I saw the chef wearing a gas mask, water would be my entree.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I think if I walked into a restaurant where I saw the chef wearing a gas mask, water would be my entree.
!! Too funny QS!!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

This curry seems to be again a western creation. I have never heard of it in India.

It looks like they add habanero to this curry and habanero is not traditional to india so this could not be a natively Indian dish.

Indian food is spice laden but not everything is super hot or requires someone to wear a mask (I get mad when things are exaggerated).

If you are so inclined to try a hot and spicy curry try the vindaloo (it does not need a face mask when you cook it), which is native to western India (Goa) and is truly a very spicy curry made with red chili's, green chili's and vinegar. It is also the only curry where pork is used as a traditional meat which not many people eat in India.

I am not into super spicy food and I personally prefer north indian food (milder, creamier) to south indian food (which is normally laden with bright spices).
Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks Yakuta-I was kind of wondering about the "authenticity" of it. I also had to wonder if the gas mask wasn't something of a "gimmick".

Are the chilis used in the vindiloo readily available, or are they a specialty item? I have plenty of habaneros and jalapenos on hand, but again, I'd like to try to recreate something more authentic.

Thanks again-exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
This curry seems to be again a western creation. I have never heard of it in India.

It looks like they add habanero to this curry and habanero is not traditional to india so this could not be a natively Indian dish.
I don't know the dish or TV show in question, but Naga Jolokia is an Indian pepper that looks a lot like an habanero.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Head Chef

Thanks Russell for the link. I will research more on the Naga Jolokia but it's not very common accross India. Seems like it's more concentrated to a small part of Assam and then Bangladesh and Sri Lanka which outside of India.

smokeking - The closest I have come to replicating vindaloo using my own spices is as follows:

Making a masala paste first:

- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 stick of ginger
- 1 large onion chopped into chunks
- 4-5 dried arabol chilies (available at hispanic markets) soaked in 2 tbsp of warm water overnight
- Freshly roasted and powdered cumin seeds, corrainder seeds and black pepper corns (about 1 tbsp of each of these, put them in a microwavable plate and zap them in the microwave for a minute. Then remove and powder in a spice grinder or coffee grinder)
- 3 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- salt to taste

Put all of this into a blender and blend until you have a smooth paste.

You can then use meat of your choice (lamb, pork, beef, chicken, shrimp or whatever your heart desires). Clean, cut, peel and put in a pinch of salt and a tiny bit of lime juice and keep it on the side.

In a pan, add some oil (about 2-3 tbsps). When it's hot add the masala paste and cook it until the rawness evaporates (about a good 20 minutes on high with constant stirring). Next add the meat and some water along with a couple of tbsps of tomato sauce (canned is fine). Cover and let it cook until the meat is tender and the gravy is nice and thick (should be just meat with very little gravy).

Sprinkle with some more lime juice, finely chopped green finger hot chilies and cilantro and serve with roti (wheat tortillas) and rice.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

smoke king one more thing came to mind so I wanted to post that. If someone is into really spicy food the best dish to try is mirchi ka salan - literally translated as chili curry. You can search on the internet for a recipe if you or anyone else is inclined to try.

It's a speciality of Hyderabad (which is a city in the south popular for delish preparation such as biryani).

It is basically finger hot chili's that are first fried in oil (in batches). Then the same oil is used to make a thick gravy (the gravy is rich and made with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, other spices) and then the chilis are put back in and cooked in the gravy. In it's authentic form it can be extremely spicy and even though I am not a big fan of spicy food. I will most definitely try a small spoon of this if it's made by an authentic hyderabadi cook because it's that good.

Tags
None