Pierogi Dough Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
About that time of the year to harvest my potatoes.
Curious if anyone makes pierogi, and has a recipe to share.
I made some last year that were good, not great.
Lost the recipe so Im looking for something new this year.

Larry

I have recipe at home. But I'm not going to be there till Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

karjalanpiirakat? I could as a Finnish friend to translate that. I do make pierogies on a regular basis, favorites here are Tomato/meat sauce filed and Indian. Do you want me to translate the recipe?

I've made pierogis one time, so that makes me an expert, right larry? :LOL: The online recipe I found worked up pretty good for it being the first time I tried making them. It was very tender and worked great with the filling (potato and grated cheddar cheese), but I rolled the dough too thin on a couple, and a few others I stuffed a little too much and stretched the dough too far. Those were both operator error, so they shouldn't reflect on the recipe.

Basic Pierogi Dough Recipe

I also saw an episode of "The Chew" that had Michael Symon make pierogis. It is a richer dough, using butter and sour cream, but it sure looked good. On TV, that is. I'm considering trying his recipe sometime this winter when I get the urge to play in the kitchen all day.

Pierogi Recipe by Michael Symon

About that time of the year to harvest my potatoes.
Curious if anyone makes pierogi, and has a recipe to share.
I made some last year that were good, not great.
Lost the recipe so Im looking for something new this year.

Larry

Mine is simple. One 750 ml yogurt container of flour to one 500 ml yogurt container of sour cream, pulse in the food processor. Roll out about 1/8 " thick.

I haven't made this (yet), but Michael Symon's recipe is pretty popular at his restaurants.

He also has a recipe with a filling of sautéed mushrooms. That would be really good with a sauce of caramelized onions splashed with dry sherry or brandy.

Best Pierogies Recipe

We talked about making pierogis once and never did. This recipe might just nudge us into making them though. It looks really good. Never saw beef cheeks anywhere before though (never looked for them either) but nice meaty short ribs would probably make a good sub, yes? If we can't find the beef cheeks.

I haven't made this (yet), but Michael Symon's recipe is pretty popular at his restaurants.

He also has a recipe with a filling of sautéed mushrooms. That would be really good with a sauce of caramelized onions splashed with dry sherry or brandy.

Best Pierogies Recipe

We talked about making pierogis once and never did. This recipe might just nudge us into making them though. It looks really good. Never saw beef cheeks anywhere before though (never looked for them either) but nice meaty short ribs would probably make a good sub, yes? If we can't find the beef cheeks.

Medtran, I think any kind of beef with a lot of connective tissue would be great in this. I think he demonstrated it on The Chew using leftover pot roast. I may be thinking of another recipe, but the ingredients and method for the pierogies are the same for all his pierogie recipes.

Wow. Recipe I have is very descriptive and very involved, NOT. I did not realise that.

Here it is:

1. 1 stick margarine
2. 4 cups hot water
3. Almost 3 pounds flour

Flour for rolling and folding.

Dissolve margarine, add flour, mix well, do not overmix.

Not sure if this is any help.

As far as potato goes. That's easy. I boil whole potato with skin on. Separately Sauté onions, amount per your taste. Put both thru meat grinder. Salt pepper to taste.

The Finnish ones I was talking about can be filled with potatoes too. So should I get it translated, my Finnish only goes to Come Here, a few curses , Do not cover and Nice chainsaw.. My Finnish is rusty but I blame that on the Swedish Russian war. ;)

Go ahead and translate. I too blame everything on Russians.

Go ahead and translate. I too blame everything on Russians.

:LOL: And with good reasons.

I have always associated pierogi making with working around the table with all the women making piles of them. :angel:

Larry as far as the dough, Yes I have a recipe. I spent a year in 1991 on an educational exchange in Krasnodar Russia. I have Mrs. Lazko's dough recipe.

Mrs. Lazko was the grandmother of the three generation family I lived with, in heroes of the great war apartments, on red street, I kid you not. She enjoyed cooking traditional Russian food for me.

Berated me constantly (much of which, because I understood more than I spoke she didn't think I understood), and constantly told me about how many days I would have lasted in the Great Patriotic War (WWII), usually about three to four, depending on her mood. She often mentioned when prepping food how she cooked differently, in the war, with shoe polish as shortening, and ground newspapers as flour. I often asked questions, and was rebuffed and told I was fat and lazy.

The woman could make decent food from anything, though, no spices, a crappy apartment stove (heck mine was better when I lived in Norristown, PA),

And darn could she make perogies.

Weird starter yeast thing going with saving a bit from the last one.

When I was leaving, I asked her for her dough recipe for perogies. And she of course told me in Russian K chourtu, 'go to the devil' could be interpreted as a Russian 'F&ck yourself'.

My last day, she gave me an envelope with her recipe. Kissed me on both cheeks twice. Cried a bit. Lessons learned, Russians are insane. But rather good to be around, both for stories, and recipes.

I have the original recipe, but it is in a box that went from the Oklahoma move direct to a storage locker. Let me think about the differences between that and my current recipe. (less lard, by 93%) and we are moving so gonna get back the cookboks and notebooks I sent to storage.

Cheers,

TBS

Karelska piroger

300 ml fine rye flour
200 ml fine wheat flour
1½ teaspoon salt
50 gram butter
200 ml water.

Left over potatomash.

Mix butter, flour and salt to a crumbly texture. Add water and knead to a dough. Roll the dough to a long narrow sausage. Cut into 20-25 small balls. Roll the dough ball to thin rounds, fill with 1 tablespoon of potato mash and pinch up the edges like ruffle, do not fold over. Bake at 480 - 500F for 10 min. Brush the pirogi's with a mixture of equal amount water and butter, it need to be boiling hot. Eat while hot.

My reason for blaming the Russians is my family had flee Finland due to the Russians back in the day.

Last edited:
Charlie comes from Ukraine. His family was not one of the elite privileged. :LOL: So as he stated, he blames the Russians for everything.

Fortunately, he is now a resident of the U.S. and I am not sure but I think he received his citizenship. We all love him dearly. He lives a very strict Kosher life and has been educating all of us on the rules of living Kosher. :angel:

Addie: Well be honest, my family was deported from Finland when Sweden lost Finland to Russia in 1809. It was sort of Ah leave or die and we liked life and left. But the area is so close to Finland so some tradition and food culture stayed. Sweden used to but heads with Russia. And there is even a place in Ukraine that still speak an old form of Swedish.

Last edited:
Addie: Well be honest, my family was deported from Finland when Sweden lost Finland to Russia in 1809. It was sort of Ah leave or die and we liked life and left. But the area is so close to Finland so some tradition and food culture stayed. Sweden used to but heads with Russia. And there is even a place in Ukraine that still speak an old form of Swedish.

I can understand your leaving in a hurry. I would probably be ahead of your family. What country are you now living in? Isn't Finland independent now?

In the fourth grade we had world geography. The very first country we studied was the folks of Lapland and their reindeer herds. I have never been sure of exactly where Lapland is, but I know it is in the far north. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom