"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
pac, here's my pitch for bacon-ham filled pirogies: you are a bacon lover, no argument there, right? the bacon fat (and the onions) will leach into the bread part of your pirogi as they bake in the oven--and, oh...my...god! just saute chopped onion together with diced bacon about halfway. add some lean ham or spam, also diced, heavily pepper the whole thing, and there's your bacon/ham pirogi filling. this mixture is delicious, pac. if you don't want to use it for your pirogies then at least try making a small batch for omelets and western egg sandwiches. you'll thank me later. :)
You bake your pierogi? I didn't come across that method. I was going to boil them, then fry in butter and onions to give them some color... I think.
And yes I have bacon and I have ham. I will make some up. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Executive Chef

yes, mine are bread-based pirogi, and they are so good that they made my top five list of foods i couldn't live without....

Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Master Chef

I made 2 cups the other day it was way too much dough. Originally I was afraid I had too much filling, but I end up with extra dough. I did reuse it for something else latter. But I'll teel right away 3 cups is a lot. I would recomend to use only one cup and make few to see how you like the dough recipe, the size you want to make them. Then you also will not need too much filling. ANd the most important, since you said you are not comfortable with dough, this will kind of es you in.
I bet different people call things different. We had a whole thread about the pirogy/vareniki/ whatever.

And if dough is not hndle proparly it will get overworked and they will be very rubbery and chew. Where in fact you want them pretty soft.
By the way what recipe are you using?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Another reason to make a reduced recipe is that you don't like the result. That way you aren't in a position to toss or eat the food you don't like.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
...By the way what recipe are you using?
I'm not sure yet.
I've got a few printed out, but not with me at the moment to post. I was kind of leaning towards one I found on the internet (as opposed to here) that had sour cream in the dough. And I'm pretty sure I'll choose one that uses eggs in it regardless. I'm still in the research phase.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Another reason to make a reduced recipe is that you don't like the result. That way you aren't in a position to toss or eat the food you don't like.
Good point.
But I know they are going to come out

(I hope)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

Why egs? There recipes that are just as good without. My dough is so easy to deal with
i even let all my kids work witht hat and even though they manage to make them crooked and all, but they stay closed and cook well.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Why eggs? Why not?
There are a lot of recipes out there, some using eggs and some not. I've got to choose one to start with.
There was a thread here a while back about someone not wanting to use eggs and most of the suggestions were to use a substitute, as opposed to omitting altogether. I figured I would use the one with eggs first. Just because.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Why eggs? Why not?
There are a lot of recipes out there, some using eggs and some not. I've got to choose one to start with.
There was a thread here a while back about someone not wanting to use eggs and most of the suggestions were to use a substitute, as opposed to omitting altogether. I figured I would use the one with eggs first. Just because.

Man you are really thorough!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Man you are really thorough!
Well we are talking FOOD!

Tags
None