Pierogi questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacanis, try adding cheese to the mashed potato and onion filling. A nice sharp, old cheese works wonders to perk up the flavor.

Those look beautiful! And I didn't PM you because I was full on into the Thanksgiving dinner prep and run. (I'm still full!)

Thanks. Will do, Alix. I used an Italian shredded mix I wanted to use up, probably too bland to get any benefit (taste).
I'm going to play around with the mixture more next time. I just sweated the onions, rather than caramelizing like I wanted to, but like I've said before, I try to follow a recipe pretty close the first time and then I know what I want to change for next time.
At least I didn't have to run out for Mrs T's :LOL:

Bacon also adds a lot to the potato-onion-cheese filling. I panfry the bacon first, and then use some of the drippings for the onion. To crush the bacon, I put it between paper towels on a cookie sheet and then use a rolling pin to make bacon bits. I use 2# cheese : 2# bacon to 10# potatoes. This makes enough filling for 30 dozen <g>. Form the filling first and chill it (I usually make the filling the night before). That way, it is firmer and ready. I don't use a press for the pierogies, I form mine by hand.

Bacon also adds a lot to the potato-onion-cheese filling. I panfry the bacon first, and then use some of the drippings for the onion. To crush the bacon, I put it between paper towels on a cookie sheet and then use a rolling pin to make bacon bits. I use 2# cheese : 2# bacon to 10# potatoes. This makes enough filling for 30 dozen <g>. Form the filling first and chill it (I usually make the filling the night before). That way, it is firmer and ready. I don't use a press for the pierogies, I form mine by hand.

Bacon! That sounds like a natural for pierogis.

Thank You Charlie.

I think it was Vit who suggested ham and bacon. That's next. Along with a mushroom and cheese pierogi.

Pacanis, they look delicious!

Maybe I missed it......we serve ours differently.
Learned from a cousin from Poland.
After boiling the perogies, put in a pan with butter.
First though, process some bread crumbs, a lot of them, add butter and brown them in the frying pan, once crunchy, push to one side, put more butter on the open side and that is where you put the perogies.
Serve with a scoop of brown crunchy bread crumbs, a scoop of sour cream. It gives you a crunchy, creamy, chewy, rich and comfort food (potato, onion, cheese type).

We've also made them in large quantities, froze them on cookie sheets individually, packed once frozen in zip lock bags, ready to boil.

And they look something like this.
View attachment 12189

If there's anything I would change is to jazz up the potato and onion filling. Maybe add a little kraut to it or something. They were very "dumpling-like" ;)
Overall though, I'll be making them again. It was pretty easy, even if there was a lot of cleaning up with the flour afterwards :rolleyes:
I could eat those now( 06.15 am) Nov 5th bonfire night is the start of the pierogy season here:)

Morning, I have been making Rogies since I was young, and over the years I have perfected my own recipe. I normally make 400-500 at a sitting, since my kids keep stealing them. However, for a batch of about 100, I use 8 cups of flour, in a 4 cup measuring cup I beat 6 eggs, 4 tbsp of canola oil, and add about a cup of very warm milk, mix again and add to the flour. I add this slowly to the kitchen aid with the dough hook. (here's a hint) the warmer the liquid, the easier it is to roll the dough, it is an awesome recipe and rolls Very Easily. For the roggie guts I use a mixture of potatoe, velveeta and sharp cheese. I freeze them on cookie sheets then bag them. I hope this helps you.

Thanks for your input, Gordon. Good tip on the warm liquids.

Back
Top Bottom