Pierogi questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just let us know which one you choose.

As for how many my recipe makes...um...I feed 4 hungry people and there are very few leftovers. Usually there are about 10 leftover, which makes a good lunch for Ken. I don't know a total number.

I, too, haven't had a pierogi in around 30 years, will be interested in your results, Pac!

I just went to Fatheads in Pittsburgh. I got polish sausage sandwich with kraut and pierogies on it. HOLY ****! TASTY stuff!

I'd make the potatoes regularly on the side and expect to have some extra. flavor about as many as you think you need for the pierogies. The rest can be potato pancakes.

Thanks Alix.

I will definitely halve the recipe then. I don't mind some leftover for the freezer, but not as many as it sounds that three cups of flour would give me. Plus I don't want to be standing there stuffing pierogi all day, lol.

This is going to be fun. This is totally new to me.
Thanks for all your input.

For us, making perogies is an event. We get several of us together and one person takes the dough rolling and cutting duty and the others sit and stuff them. The dough roller is also responsible for filling wine glasses and serving any food necessary. ;)

For us, making perogies is an event. We get several of us together and one person takes the dough rolling and cutting duty and the others sit and stuff them. The dough roller is also responsible for filling wine glasses and serving any food necessary. ;)

At what time can I expect your dough roller?
:LOL:

You just let us know which one you choose.

As for how many my recipe makes...um...I feed 4 hungry people and there are very few leftovers. Usually there are about 10 leftover, which makes a good lunch for Ken. I don't know a total number.

I think it was last year or maybe year before my mom and I made a thousahd, yes 1 tousand exactly, all meat pirogies (we call them vareniky) for some Russian party, but we did not have any leftovers.

Why eggs? Why not?
The main reason I asked becasue you were so determend, or at least it sounded that way, to use egg. Like I said I prefer non-egg version and as the matter of fact the russian cooking site I belong to by far thinks "no eggs" in pierogy dough. But, alas, to each it's own.

I haven't read all the comments....but I buy frozen potato/onion perogies. They are deelish and after boiling them, I fry them with onions....good plain, or with sour cream.

The main reason I asked becasue you were so determend, or at least it sounded that way, to use egg. Like I said I prefer non-egg version and as the matter of fact the russian cooking site I belong to by far thinks "no eggs" in pierogy dough. But, alas, to each it's own.

I understand.
It's not so much being determined as it is I have to start somewhere. The easiest thing for me to nail down so far was whether or not to use eggs in my first attempt.
This is the dough recipe I'll be using.
Pierogi (Polish Dumplings) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Pacanis,

My recipe makes about 30 dozen, but each "batch" makes about 5-6 dozen and we usually do 5 batches. This is a "three-friends get together and do this effort." We each get to bring home 10-11 bags of perogies. For the dough, we use 1-500 gr. container sour cream, 1-750 gr. container AP flour (the 750 gr. container is a yogurt container) for each batch. We put the sc in the FP and add the flour. When it forms a ball, turn out on a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 balls. Roll out on lightly floured surface, flouring only on one side. Our cutter is 3". For "cocktail size" we use a 1-1/2". Cut, fill, boil, toss with butter, freeze.
Don't over fill. I'd have to measure the filling the next time I make them, because I have special "scoop" that is perfect for perogies. I also make the filling the day before and shape like a cigar, chill overnight. The cigar shape makes it easier to fill the perogie and always have the floured side on the outside of the perogie so you can pinch it together.
We boil ours one dozen at a time, and toss them with 1 tsp of butter, put in ziplock bags, and freeze flat so the perogies don't stick together. The reason for tossing them in butter is so that they don't stick when you reheat them. To reheat, thaw and fry in butter in a CI for about 4-5 minutes each side, golden, not crisp. I do my onions in a separate pan. 4 are considered a serving if served as a side, 6 if served as a meal.

If I make perogies in November, I'll take photos and measure using "real" tools. If you think making tamales, dolmas, krumkake, or lefse are time consuming, you have to add perogies to that list <g>.

pacanis, that looks like a very rich dough. Why the baking powder do you suppose? I think it will roll very smoothly. And I don't think this will require a resting period. Make sure you roll it quite thin as I think it will plump up quite a bit. The baking powder baffles me a bit. Pictures please!

My dough recipe is so drastically different I don't think they are in the same ballpark! LOL! Mine is basically like a pasta dough. Water, oil, egg and flour. Very stretchy.

How big is the "bowl" you're using to cut the circles? My squares are usually about 3 inches across so the triangles are little until they cook, then they get BIG!

Last edited:
1 egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
about 1-1/2 cups flower

Should get you about 24 -30 pierogi using a 3 inch diameter cutter.
Don't boil them before you freeze them.

pacanis, that looks like a very rich dough. Why the baking powder do you suppose? I think it will roll very smoothly. And I don't think this will require a resting period. Make sure you roll it quite thin as I think it will plump up quite a bit. The baking powder baffles me a bit. Pictures please!

My dough recipe is so drastically different I don't think they are in the same ballpark! LOL! Mine is basically like a pasta dough. Water, oil, egg and flour. Very stretchy.

How big is the "bowl" you're using to cut the circles? My squares are usually about 3 inches across so the triangles are little until they cook, then they get BIG!

No rest? Good thing. I made them an hour ago :LOL:
I was wondering why you didn't PM me back... :rolleyes:

I went and boiled them all already. I just got the potato water going again. Like was suggested, I halved that recipe in the link I posted. I got eight using about a 3-1/2" circle, re-worked the "scrap" dough and would have gotten five more, but I had a brain fart and didn't dust the marble again before I rolled it out and cut the circles. There was no getting the circles off without a scraper :wacko: Oh well. Eight will be good. I tried to roll it out a third time, but it was too glutenous by then.

I thought it would be a good idea to boil them all so the dough didn't do anything funny and rise or something after they were formed. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it seemed like a good idea to boil them.
I froze half and saved half for tonight. I read two opinions on cooking or not before freezing, so will see what happens cooking first.

Like QSis mentioned in an old thread I had read, I preformed the filling in walnut sized balls. That worked well. And I did this little dough stretch manuever that I saw on youtube as I was folding the dough to close them up. Aside from not liking to work with flour, it was pretty painless ;)

And they look something like this.
pierogi.jpg

If there's anything I would change is to jazz up the potato and onion filling. Maybe add a little kraut to it or something. They were very "dumpling-like" ;)
Overall though, I'll be making them again. It was pretty easy, even if there was a lot of cleaning up with the flour afterwards :rolleyes:

Wow, Pac. Those look just like I remembered from 20 some years ago. Great job!

Thanks Guys.
And I'll make sure I give the sauerkraut a good squeeze.
So many possibilities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom