"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

The wrong way consists in a wrong molding. This is very responsible work. They shouldn't be collapsed at cooking. Any holes and cracksare unacceptably/

Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izghoga View Post
The wrong way consists in a wrong molding. This is very responsible work. They shouldn't be collapsed at cooking. Any holes and cracksare unacceptably/
There is definitely an "art" to shaping (molding) them. Having an experienced person teach you how to do so helps! I can always tell when a "newbie" has helped -- the shape is "off" <g>.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Yea. Especially if you do vareniki (with a cherry for example) with Curley edge
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Master Chef

Well, I was talking about freezing them before or after cooking, not shaping them, but who counts, right?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Ok...this is something I have never had. I am not sure what goes into them, how they are served, etc. I have seen them in the frozen food section. Which brands are good? Will my picky eaters like them??
Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Ok...this is something I have never had. I am not sure what goes into them, how they are served, etc. I have seen them in the frozen food section. Which brands are good? Will my picky eaters like them??
I don't know about the ones in the frozen food section, but we make either potato-cheese-bacon filling or sauerkraut filling. I don't like the fruit (dessert) ones--I bought those once that were in the frozen food section. The ones we make are wonderful--I like them with fried onions, pork chops/sausage/bacon, sour cream...how much more Scandinavian could I get. They are not one of the foods in my background, but I love making them and eating them, thanks to a friend who lived in SK and MB and learned to make them along the way and has since taught me how to make them. Do your picky eaters like potatoes-cheese-bacon and pasta? If yes, I can't imagine they won't like them. One of the Best of Bridge cookbooks has a perogie casserole dish that is very good.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #17
Head Chef

I always freeze them 1st then, boil and fry.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I always freeze them 1st then, boil and fry.
We have a very large Polish comunity in Chelsea. One of our local TV stations did a piece on them. They were making perogies for a community festival. All the woman were sitting at a table making them with potato/cheese filliing and then they were frozen to be cooked during the festival the following week. They will float to the top when done. Perogies are the Polish version of the Italian handmade ravioli. Every nationality has their own version and filling.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

The only filling that I nearly hate is potato-cheese kind. Though I love the potato ones, and I love the cheese one. Together somehow the taste robs me in the wrong way.

Most of all I like meat filling. And as far as dessert kind tart cheries.
As to question cabout picky eaters, what's not to like piece of dough with any kind of filling you like.You know like those pizza pockets.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I've just taken some potato/onion ones out of the storebought bag they came frozen in. Directions tell me to put them into boiling water, stir a bit so they won't stick together and simmer for 6-7 minutes then drain. I sometimes fry them after with green pepper and mushrooms....deelish!!!!

Tags
other