Pierogies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
I don't know about the ones in the frozen food section, but we make either potato-cheese-bacon filling or sauerkraut filling. I don't like the fruit (dessert) ones--I bought those once that were in the frozen food section. The ones we make are wonderful--I like them with fried onions, pork chops/sausage/bacon, sour cream...how much more Scandinavian could I get:LOL:. They are not one of the foods in my background, but I love making them and eating them, thanks to a friend who lived in SK and MB and learned to make them along the way and has since taught me how to make them. Do your picky eaters like potatoes-cheese-bacon and pasta? If yes, I can't imagine they won't like them. One of the Best of Bridge cookbooks has a perogie casserole dish that is very good.

Thanks CWS. My picky eaters do like potatoes, cheese, bacon, and pasta. Wouldn't like sauerkraut though.

Been making them for a long time 30 yrs approx. also, my father in law was Polish
We always had a perogie making party,
Mother in law(Irish) would make the filling the day before.
Sister in law would be mixing up many batches of the dough,
MIL rolling out and cutting the circle, and her I would fill and pinch,
father in law would man the pots of water and boil,
my daughter and SIL's 2 girl would set on drying rack, then when dried from boiling water (couple of min). they would single layer in freezer bags, 1 dozen in a bag, and stack flat in freezer. we made anywhere 1000 - 1500 a year. It was an al day affair. But we loved it and had perogie whenever we wanted them. Good fun family time. I use to eat the Mrs t all the time till married into the family, now the thought of them ---ewwwww. Can never go back to them. Oh by the way we always made Potatoe and cheese ones. but I also made cabbage filled ones for me and the father in law.
The inlaws and sister in law, have past now so I carry on the tradition with my family. Nothing better then Kiebasa, homemade perogies ,Kapusta and a good chunk of rye bread

:yum:
Been making them for a long time 30 yrs approx. also, my father in law was Polish
my daughter and SIL's 2 girl would set on drying rack, then when dried from boiling water (couple of min). they would single layer in freezer bags, 1 dozen in a bag, and stack flat in freezer. we made anywhere 1000 - 1500 a year. It was an al day affair. But we loved it and had perogie whenever we wanted them. Good fun family time. I use to eat the Mrs t all the time till married into the family, now the thought of them ---ewwwww. Can never go back to them. Oh by the way we always made Potato and cheese ones. but I also made cabbage filled ones for me and the father in law.
The inlaws and sister in law, have past now so I carry on the tradition with my family. Nothing better then Kiebasa, homemade perogies ,Kapusta and a good chunk of rye bread

That's how I have always seen them made. A group of women sitting around a table with their babushkas on their head and a coverall apron, one at the stove, singing Polish folk songs. I had a girlfriend in Chelsea that invited me one time to come and watch. I have seen Italian women doing the same with their babushkas and black dresses covered with the same apron making raviolis for a street festival. The radio would be on playing opera songs in Italian while the women hummed along. It was always a community effort. Who was going to make the gravy was a big major decision. Hands would be flying, voices raised, loud arguments until the men would come in and settle it all. Who ever made it last year couldn't make the gravy this year. Eventually every woman had a turn making the gravy. I had a happy childhood. :yum:

my daughter and SIL's 2 girl would set on drying rack, then when dried from boiling water (couple of min). they would single layer in freezer bags, 1 dozen in a bag, and stack flat in freezer. we made anywhere 1000 - 1500 a year. It was an al day affair. But we loved it and had perogie whenever we wanted them. Good fun family time. I use to eat the Mrs t all the time till married into the family, now the thought of them ---ewwwww. Can never go back to them. Oh by the way we always made Potatoe and cheese ones. but I also made cabbage filled ones for me and the father in law.
You described perogie making with others so well. Sorry your inlaws and SIL are no longer there physically, but their presence is always there as you carry on--keep carrying on! My grandma is looking over my shoulder every time I roll lefse.

Thanks to Poles all products of this kind are called as perogies.
Actually perogies it is pies with a stuffing. Baked.

That that you make likely or pelmeni or manti (steam).

In Siberia them traditionally do much for once (very much).
After them blind it expose on a frost. (It is often simple on a balcony)
In your case use a deep-freezer.

When it is required to prepare them.
Will boil water, salt it. Add perogies in boiled water also wait when will cook.
And you know that such smetana (sour cream)?

Love the balcony idea. lol;)

Two friends of mine and I typically get together in November and make 30-33 dozen perogies. The "chief" perogie maker has us boil them (1 doz at a time), for a minute, drain, toss in a stainless bowl with 1 tsp of butter, and then package in a zippie, lay them flat (in the zippie) on a cookie sheet, flash freeze. The butter keeps them from sticking and when you thaw them (10 minutes in the microwave on defrost setting), you can pan fry them for about 4-5 minutes (in butter, naturally) on each side on medium to medium high. I usually start sweating the onions when the perogies go in the microwave.

My family has been doing it this way for 30 years, we have a "Pierogi Party" every November and make about 500 (split between 4 families). We have always boiled them for about three minutes, and butter them well and place them a dozen at a time on a foam paper plate and then in a zip bag and freeze. When they are defrosted, they have enough butter on them to simply fry lightly and enjoy!:yum:

AMEN, my family did the same, good memories. It is easier if they are boiled first, they you just defrost and sautee' and done. YUM!

%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B9.jpg
Thanks for the photo, are you in it?
Ps merry christmas for yesterday.

Last edited:
It is a very cool pic, I had to copy it for my collection.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Bolas, and thank you for all you taught me in 2011. I am much better in the kitchen thanks to you.
:chef:

Bolas, Christmas is today. Yesterday was the big feast though.

Merry Christmas all. Today is definitely pierogi day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom