"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pizzette recipe

It sounds funny for me, to post this recipe in "ethnic foods"!
I hope you'll can understand my terribly poor english, anyway I'll ask help to who knows my language.
This is a recipe I love, this isn't the real pizza but theese "pizzette" are incredibly good for buffets. Kids will love them!
I found it in a book written by two Italian sisters (sorelle Simili).
They aren't crisp, they will remain very soft.

Pizzette
Ingredients:
17.6 oz flour (500 g)
8.8 oz water (250 g)
0.9 oz "fresh" beer yeast (25 g) or 1 package of active dry yeast
1.4 oz butter (40 g)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, olive oil
melt the brewer’s yeast in the water.
Put the flour in a bowl, add the water with yeast, the salt, the oil, the sugar and the butter.
Knead above mixture, but don’t work it for too much time.
Let it rest for 50 minutes.
Smooth the dough till it will be about 3mm (1/9 inch) thick.
Cut some little disks or whatever the form you may fancy, add some tomato sauce and/or whatever the topping you would like at the centre, but be careful to avoid the overload, the base may get soggy!! (hold the cheese at this moment)
Bake at 390° F (200° C) for 5 minutes. Top the pizzette with mozzarella or your favourite kind of cheese, then bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden and nicely melted.

here you can see the process (but it's always in italian):
Pizzette - Cookaforum

Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You're English is wonderful!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Another hit from Lucia!! Pizzette are one of our favourite snacks, we get them from either bakeries or make a "cheat" version with puff pastries, but this one looks really good, much closer to real mini pizzas!!
Grazie!!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

We do that too, with the puff pastry! It is especially nice, IMO, if you cut out the pastry with a star/heart shaped cutter...makes them a bit special with no extra work than using a round cutter :)
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef

This is great Lucia. I really like your recipes and your posts. You are doing an excellent job with your English.

I have a comment about the ingredient you list as Brewer's yeast. In America, we have a product named brewer's yeast, but it is not a leavening agent. It is more of a nutritional supplement. Do you think maybe you should be calling for baking yeast, which in the USA is a leavening agent?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Beth, I think this type of yeast that Lucia meant is beer yeast in English, the one sold in tiny cubed packets (about 30g/1oz or maybe a bit bigger) around the dairy section of supermarkets (or... do they do that in the US?).
However, I believe the dry granulated version of yeast should work, too, if it has been stored correctly.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

That's interesting. It looks like I was wrong. I think our brewer's yeast is a by product of the brewing industry, and you are saying this is what is used in the recipe??
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't believe this kind of yeast is produced directly by brewing industries, I am not sure of the manufacturing procedure, though... now I am getting confused maybe they don't sell this kind of fresh yeast (the one I mentioned above, comes in small cubes) in the US?? Come to think about it I don't remember them being sold over there, just the dried versions that comes in sackets. (though it was after I left US I learned to bake to some degree, so maybe I just haven't noticed...)
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

okay, it does sound like baking yeast. No we do not have cakes of fresh yeast where I live, and baking yeast can come in packets. Darn, I was all set to try this with brewer's yeast. It is an acquired taste and i really like it. Actually brewer's yeasts comes in different forms and some taste much better than others. I was thinking it would add an interesting flavor to the crusts. (is this something like text messaging?)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, cause for the translation of "lievito di birra" i found "brewer's yeast", but I meant the "beer yeast". I must ask some Americans to know what you could use.

Tags
None