"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like my green chili served over beans...

Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, beans instead of tortillas But chile verde is not a stew with a lot of liquid, right?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Chili Verde is a green chili sauce, Green Chili is a stew made with Chili Verde and Pork.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought salsa verde was green chile sauce.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

yes. Green Chili is Tex-Mex...salsa verde and chili verde are Mexican sauces. The names are all mixed around...
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I thought it was posole that had hominy and chile verde has no beans. Posole is a stew with more liquid, eaten in a bowl, while chile verde has less liquid and is eaten with tortillas.
You are correct on both counts GG.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #27
Wine Guy

Not to be contrary, but "Chili Verde" simply translates to "Green Chili". If you Google it, you get recipes for green chili with pork, i.e. the stew. If you look at the International Chili Society's web page, it's a category there. Also, it's not necessarily thick and eaten with tortillas. Sometimes it's eaten over rice. Sometimes it's eaten on its own.

The definition, according to ICS:

Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. No garnish is allowed.

Here are some photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chil...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Salsa verde is the sauce. Salsa verde can be an ingredient in Chili Verde.

Posole is an ancient Aztec stew made from pork, red chiles, and hominy.

Whether hominy is traditional in Chili Verde (the stew) is beside the point. It will be part of mine. I like hominy. So there!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
I thought salsa verde was green chile sauce.

Salsa verde is also a yummy Italian sauce without chiles in it
Old 09-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Not to be contrary, but "Chili Verde" simply translates to "Green Chili". If you Google it, you get recipes for green chili with pork, i.e. the stew. If you look at the International Chili Society's web page, it's a category there. Also, it's not necessarily thick and eaten with tortillas. Sometimes it's eaten over rice. Sometimes it's eaten on its own.

The definition, according to ICS:

Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. No garnish is allowed.

Here are some photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chil...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Salsa verde is the sauce. Salsa verde can be an ingredient in Chili Verde.

Posole is an ancient Aztec stew made from pork, red chiles, and hominy.

Whether hominy is traditional in Chili Verde (the stew) is beside the point. It will be part of mine. I like hominy. So there!
I've been spelling chile verde and chili verde differently on purpose. Chiles are the peppers, so they make the sauce. Chili is a saucy meat (usually) dish. Posole can also be made with tomatillos and green chiles; we like it better that way.

I shouldn't have specified eating chile verde with tortillas; I meant that it's usually eaten combined with something else, like in enchiladas or tacos, or over rice and/or beans.

What's traditional is not beside the point, although of course, anyone can make their own variations When you're trying to have a conversation with people, it goes much more smoothly when they use the same definitions.

I think I missed that PF was talking about a type of chili because I don't like or make chili. Except white chicken chili with Velveeta. But that's another story
Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #30
Wine Guy

Quote:
I've been spelling chile verde and chili verde differently on purpose. Chiles are the peppers, so they make the sauce. Chili is a saucy meat (usually) dish. Posole can also be made with tomatillos and green chiles; we like it better that way.

What's traditional is not beside the point, although of course, anyone can make their own variations When you're trying to have a conversation with people, it goes much more smoothly when they use the same definitions.
GG, as you and I both know, trying to establish strict definitions when talking about food is an exercise in futility. If you don't believe me, go back and reread some of the Goulash threads. There simply is no definition of Goulash that everyone on DC will accept. Furthermore, one man's Goulash is another's American Chop Suey.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have mumu's threads. Here we have an individual so bogged down by strict definitions that any ability to enjoy cooking or even follow a recipe is stymied. Is it boiling or is it simmering?

By the way, I also use "chili" when referring to the stew, and "chile" for the peppers (the only time I used the "chili" spelling to refer to the pepper is in the quote from ICS). But note that both spellings are accepted in common usage. So while we can agree on spelling, the rest of the world apparently can not.

And is it posole or pozole? Merriam Webster says both are acceptable.

Tags
enchilada sauce, garlic, hominy, pork roast, recipe, tomatillos

Please help with this recipe! Hi All, My dad has a great recipe for Chile Verde that we have used forever. While I really like this recipe I feel like a few ingredients are missing that would make it great. I will post the full recipe below and please let me know of anything that you think would make this yummy, easy recipe better. 1-2 lb pork roast (cubed), 8-12 diced tomatillos, Large can of La Victoria green enchilada sauce, 6 cloves of garlic, Large can of hominy 1 large onion Salt and Pepper to taste. Let all of this run in the crockpot on high for 3-4 hours or until the pork is cooked through and the vegetables are softened. Thanks! 3 stars 1 reviews