Please help with this recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chili Verde is a green chili sauce, Green Chili is a stew made with Chili Verde and Pork.

yes. Green Chili is Tex-Mex...salsa verde and chili verde are Mexican sauces. The names are all mixed around...

Last edited:
Not to be contrary, but "Chili Verde" simply translates to "Green Chili". If you Google it, you get recipes for green chili with pork, i.e. the stew. If you look at the International Chili Society's web page, it's a category there. Also, it's not necessarily thick and eaten with tortillas. Sometimes it's eaten over rice. Sometimes it's eaten on its own.

The definition, according to ICS:

Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. No garnish is allowed.

Here are some photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...=_IYIVPCzEc32yQTPr4GgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Salsa verde is the sauce. Salsa verde can be an ingredient in Chili Verde.

Posole is an ancient Aztec stew made from pork, red chiles, and hominy.

Whether hominy is traditional in Chili Verde (the stew) is beside the point. It will be part of mine. I like hominy. So there! ;)

Last edited:
Not to be contrary, but "Chili Verde" simply translates to "Green Chili". If you Google it, you get recipes for green chili with pork, i.e. the stew. If you look at the International Chili Society's web page, it's a category there. Also, it's not necessarily thick and eaten with tortillas. Sometimes it's eaten over rice. Sometimes it's eaten on its own.

The definition, according to ICS:

Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. No garnish is allowed.

Here are some photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...=_IYIVPCzEc32yQTPr4GgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Salsa verde is the sauce. Salsa verde can be an ingredient in Chili Verde.

Posole is an ancient Aztec stew made from pork, red chiles, and hominy.

Whether hominy is traditional in Chili Verde (the stew) is beside the point. It will be part of mine. I like hominy. So there! ;)

I've been spelling chile verde and chili verde differently on purpose. Chiles are the peppers, so they make the sauce. Chili is a saucy meat (usually) dish. Posole can also be made with tomatillos and green chiles; we like it better that way.

I shouldn't have specified eating chile verde with tortillas; I meant that it's usually eaten combined with something else, like in enchiladas or tacos, or over rice and/or beans.

What's traditional is not beside the point, although of course, anyone can make their own variations ;) When you're trying to have a conversation with people, it goes much more smoothly when they use the same definitions.

I think I missed that PF was talking about a type of chili because I don't like or make chili. Except white chicken chili with Velveeta. But that's another story ;)

Last edited:
I've been spelling chile verde and chili verde differently on purpose. Chiles are the peppers, so they make the sauce. Chili is a saucy meat (usually) dish. Posole can also be made with tomatillos and green chiles; we like it better that way.

What's traditional is not beside the point, although of course, anyone can make their own variations ;) When you're trying to have a conversation with people, it goes much more smoothly when they use the same definitions.
GG, as you and I both know, trying to establish strict definitions when talking about food is an exercise in futility. If you don't believe me, go back and reread some of the Goulash threads. There simply is no definition of Goulash that everyone on DC will accept. Furthermore, one man's Goulash is another's American Chop Suey.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have mumu's threads. Here we have an individual so bogged down by strict definitions that any ability to enjoy cooking or even follow a recipe is stymied. Is it boiling or is it simmering? :wacko:

By the way, I also use "chili" when referring to the stew, and "chile" for the peppers (the only time I used the "chili" spelling to refer to the pepper is in the quote from ICS). But note that both spellings are accepted in common usage. So while we can agree on spelling, the rest of the world apparently can not.

And is it posole or pozole? Merriam Webster says both are acceptable. ;)

GG, as you and I both know, trying to establish strict definitions when talking about food is an exercise in futility. If you don't believe me, go back and reread some of the Goulash threads. There simply is no definition of Goulash that everyone on DC will accept. Furthermore, one man's Goulash is another's American Chop Suey.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have mumu's threads. Here we have an individual so bogged down by strict definitions that any ability to enjoy cooking or even follow a recipe is stymied. Is it boiling or is it simmering? :wacko:

By the way, I also use "chili" when referring to the stew, and "chile" for the peppers (the only time I used the "chili" spelling to refer to the pepper is in the quote from ICS). But note that both spellings are accepted in common usage. So while we can agree on spelling, the rest of the world apparently can not.

And is it posole or pozole? Merriam Webster says both are acceptable. ;)

I know, right?! And when I decide the best way to use the words, my OCD copy-editor nature gets very upset that people won't just do as I say! :ermm::rolleyes::LOL:

More fun reading: ACES • View topic - chili or chile

I'm stopping now.

Hey, no fair stopping before I get home from work!!! My point was that your Chili verde is different from mine and that guy's over there>>>> I learned how to make mine from a woman with the last name of Montoya...her Spanish/Mexican was worse than mine. LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom