Polpettone Ripieno di Napoli
At one time, the province of Campania, had very scant meat, and when there was meat, it was in humbler cuts. Meatballs, meat loaves and meat rolls have been common fare. This can be served with a variety of items and mine is filled in the 2nd layer with: Proscuittio, Provolone, Spinach and Hard Boiled Eggs.
BEEF AND SAUSAGE ROLL WITH PROSCUITTO, PROVOLONE, SPINACH & HARD BOILED EGGS ...
1 1/2 cups day old bread crumbs Italian style bread
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces of Italian sausage, casings removed
2 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of oregano, thyme, basil
1/4 cup water
10 ounces fresh spinach
4 ounces sliced proscuitto
3 ounces provolone cheese ( sliced: 2 x 1/4 x 1/4 strips )
6 hard boiled eggs
18 fresh Italian Parsley sprigs
1 tblsp Evoo
*** FOR THE MEAT:
1. Line an 18 x 12 inch baking sheet with foil and moisten foil with water
2. mix the bread and the milk in medium bowl
3. mash bread with fingers until soaked
4. squeeze excess moisture out
5. Place bread in another large bowl and discard the milk
6. add ground beef, sausages, 2 eggs, salt and pepper
7. PUT THE MEAT IN THE CENTRE OF THE FOIL
8. using moistened fingers, pat meat into 12 x 14 inch rectangle about 1/2 Inch thick and cover and chill while preparing filling.
*** FOR THE FILLING:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit
2. Bring 1/4 cup water to simmer in large pot and add the spinach leaves, and simmer until wilted, tossing often, cook 3 mins.
3. drain well and pat dry on kitch absorbent towelling and then sauté the sausage uncased meat, with 1 onion and 1 clove garlic finely chopped. Strain the sausage oil. Let cool.
4. arrange spinach as a layer on top of the ground beef
5. then, spread the sausage uncased cooked meat and the proscuitto spaced apart and then the strips of cheese
6. Using foil as an aide, then place the 6 hardboiled eggs down the centre and place the top layer of ground beef on top of the laying layer.
7. pinch the 2 end sides of the meatloaf and brush entire top with Evoo
8. bake 1 hour
9. let stand 15 to 20 mins before slicing
SERVE HOT OR ROOM TEMPERATURE
Crusty bread and a red wine,
*** this can be done with a variety of fillings to suit taste palates.