"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Ponzu: how to use?

I picked up a nice bottle of this the other day and used it to poach fish. Actually I wrapped them in foil along with: Ponzu, wine, butter, ginger, garlic, capers and parsely...I know Ming Tsai used to use this on his show, what other uses for this juice?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
I picked up a nice bottle of this the other day and used it to poach fish. Actually I wrapped them in foil along with: Ponzu, wine, butter, ginger, garlic, capers and parsely...I know Ming Tsai used to use this on his show, what other uses for this juice?
I love Ponzu and use it in place of soy sauce in just about any asian style recipe...Not with everything mind you, I just use it with somethings. I love it over just plain white rice..
kadesma

Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Master Chef

With SUPER WHITE! Sorry, that is the only time I have ever had the stuff and it goes most nicely with this torched seared sushi treat! Like eating a fine steak!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Sounds yum, jp. Will you share your recipe with us? TIA.

How about salmon, scallops, shrimp, chicken, steak, salad - or a dipping sauce. (I have a recipe for Portobello fries. Let me know if your interested.)

A couple of ideas:

Grilled Miso-citrus Scallop Lollipops
Grilled Miso-citrus Scallop Lollipops

Ponzu Salmon
Ponzu Salmon

(Wolfgang's) Garlic-Ponzu Shrimp Salad
Garlic-Ponzu Shrimp Salad
Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Sous Chef

This fish recipe is pretty easy: just wrap up the ingredients along with the fish in the aluminum foil. Salmon, halibut, swordfish, probably anything. Takes about 375 degrees for 20-25 min for e.g. a half pound salmon steak. Dont forget to add scallions to the above list of ingredients. You can add soy for a more oriental flavor. Dill is another possibility.

Thanks for the recipes. Hey what the heck is in POnzu anyhow? I guess its lemon but it's more than that isnt it? Is it lime? I cant tell...
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks, jp. There are several links to Ponzu in a google. Now where does one find a yuzu? lol.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
This fish recipe is pretty easy: just wrap up the ingredients along with the fish in the aluminum foil. Salmon, halibut, swordfish, probably anything. Takes about 375 degrees for 20-25 min for e.g. a half pound salmon steak. Dont forget to add scallions to the above list of ingredients. You can add soy for a more oriental flavor. Dill is another possibility.

Thanks for the recipes. Hey what the heck is in POnzu anyhow? I guess its lemon but it's more than that isnt it? Is it lime? I cant tell...
Here is a link that will tell you more..I just know it's citrus based.

Ponzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kadesma
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Ponzu is good as a dipping sauce for shabu shabu (Janapese hot pot). Although I've never thought of using it at home when I make Chinese hot pot. Huh, I'll have to think about using it next time.

Tags
None