"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Kayelle. I agree, having authentic ingredients, if you can get them, makes all the difference. I've used frozen homemade tomatillo salsa as well, when I'm too lazy to cut up all these veggies. Actually, sometimes I cut up the veggies the day before I make the posole.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Master Chef

I found this piece about the differences in oregano that could be helpful. Oregano: Mediterranean and Mexican What's the Difference? | The Kitchn

I'm lucky to have Mexican oregano and other spices for Mexican cooking readily available locally, but for those who don't, it's really worthwhile to get it online if necessary. It makes a world of difference.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I've seen recipes where they say to sub dry epazote if you can't get the oregano. Of course, the epazote is probably harder to come by.
I add a head of roasted garlic to mine. I got the epazote from The Spice House. I certainly can't find it here. And, I've yet to find the Mexican oregano.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I add a head of roasted garlic to mine. I got the epazote from The Spice House. I certainly can't find it here. And, I've yet to find the Mexican oregano.
You can probably find it in MN. Latin grocery stores seem to pop up wherever there is a significant number of immigrants. We have two that I know of. I saw one on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and my cousin says there are lots of Mexicans working in Traverse City, MI. They seem to have found homes everywhere

You can also get it at Penzey's: Mexican Oregano
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You can probably find it in MN. Latin grocery stores seem to pop up wherever there is a significant number of immigrants. We have two that I know of. I saw one on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and my cousin says there are lots of Mexicans working in Traverse City, MI. They seem to have found homes everywhere

You can also get it at Penzey's: Mexican Oregano
Not in the wee-dinky town where my folks live and I avoid the Cities if I can...I am only driving around the TC this time because I have to p/up my mom and am coming from STL.

Tags
pork, recipe, stew

Posole Verde - Green Pork & Hominy Stew [B]Pork & Tomatillo Posole[/B] 4 pounds bone-in pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 3-4 large pieces Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper 1/4 cup canola or corn oil 2 yellow onions, diced 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked, cored and chopped 4 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced 1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican) 8 cups chicken stock 2 cans yellow or white hominy, undrained 1 bunch cilantro, chopped [I]My Favorite Garnishes[/I] 2 limes, cut into wedges 2 avocadoes, cut into slices Fried tortilla strips [I]Traditional Garnishes[/I] 1/4 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced 1/2 small red onion, finely diced 10 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced 2 limes, cut into wedges Heat the oil in a large (at least 5.5 quarts) heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle one side of the pork pieces with salt and pepper and add, seasoned side down, to the pot. Brown pork on both sides, making sure to get them nice and golden brown. Season the second side, turn browned side up, and continue browning. Don’t crowd the pot or the meat will steam, not brown. You may need to do this in batches. When done, remove pork to a medium bowl and set aside. Add the onions and a large pinch of salt to the pot. Saute for about five minutes, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and oregano and continue to cook for another few minutes to soften the vegetables. Add the reserved pork, any accumulated pork juices and chicken stock to the pot. Cover it, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Remove the lid, turn the heat to low and simmer until the pork is tender and starting to fall apart, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add the hominy for the last half hour. Use a slotted spoon or spider to remove the pork from the pot and place it in a medium bowl. Use two forks to pull the meat into large shreds. Return the pork to the pot and simmer for five minutes to reheat the meat. Stir in the cilantro and taste. Add salt and pepper if necessary. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the garnishes. I like to serve this with cheese quesadillas also. 3 stars 1 reviews