"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
Head Chef

Costco's are good but not as good as home made IMHO but then I get my fingers into dough every chance I get! lol

Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Cook

But what I didn't say was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
... I was struck by the "that's the flavor I like" sensation in the final product ...
My wife and preschoolers were not as enamoured of the meal as I was. Additionally, my fatherly, "Mike Brady"-type speech about the importance of trying new things also fell on deaf ears.

I could just move on with a "Fine - more for me" sentiment, but have now decided that maybe my 'flavored pork' version does not have crowd appeal. Perhaps the Boyz' favorite food (when in nugget form) can come to the rescue.

Does anyone have comments on this Internet recipe? For convenience, I was thinking about using canned chicken. But, having never used canned chicken before worry that everyone will take one nibble, and spit it out with a "What poison did you put in this? Canned chicken?!?" look on their collective faces.

Does anyone have guidance for Chicken Pot Stickers?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Avoid canned chicken. Canned chicken is cooked (and it's awful).

You need raw ground chicken which you can buy at the supermarket.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks Andy M.,

Unfortunately, although I may have overlooked it, the grocery stores around here only appear to carry ground turkey which is a substitution I am not ready to make. What is a good way to grind chicken at home short of having a genuine meat grinder?

Would partially frozen chicken breasts pulsed in a food processor do the trick?

Tom
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
...Would partially frozen chicken breasts pulsed in a food processor do the trick? Tom
Ask the meat manager for ground chicken. I often ask for stuff I don't see and the meat manager will go get it.

The food processor will also work. No need to freeze first.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Here's a gyosa recipe given me by Japanese friends:

GYOSA

1tsp. salt
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 slice minced ginger
2 minced scallions
3T soy sauce
1T cornstarch
1T sake
lb. ground beef & pound ground pork OR 1 lb. minced shrimp, crab, or fish or a mixture of these.

MIx all filling ingredients together, fill wrappers, seal edges with water. In skillet, heat oil to hot, place in gyosa; brown on one side; add a little water, and cover immediately; steam 5 minutes for seafood or 10 minutes for meat on low heat. Remove cover and cook til liquid is gone; shake pan so gyosa don't stick. Serve with Ponzu sauce.

The Chinese potstickers are traditinally made with a thicker dough than either gyoza (Japanese) or Korean (Mandu) dumplings.
Thank you, thank you, Marmalady! This is very close to a very old recipe I like made with pork, except I haven't tried adding sake and usually make them with won ton skins. Will have to try this.

Tom, if I missed you walking thru the door, Welcome to DC.

I don't make dumplings/won tons, etc. very often, but they are one of my favorites on the planet. I use a little plastic device (put the won ton skin in, add filling, press and seal. I have bought the frozen Ling Ling brand, and IMO, they are gummy. When I do make them, I make them in big batches; and either steam, boil, or fry.

Rangoon or a seafood/shrimp filling is another fave. I have read recipes using (GASP) spam...never tried it. Even ground beef, cream cheese and chives can be another idea to experiment with. Ground chicken or turkey -- not one o my favorites. Guess it's a matter of taste. BTW, the pics look good.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #17
Master Chef

Korean dumplings, called mandoo, are a lot different than Chinese potstickers. They are on the menu a lot at my house.

Most asian cusines boast some form of fried or steamed dumpling, but they are all different ... and tasty in their own way, IMO.

I recently had some tasty mandoo at Mandoobar in NYC

That actually looks like a pretty good recipe, but do not use canned chicken. I'd probably add some other asian vegetables like black mushrooms, bamboo shoots preserved turnip/radish and bean sprouts, but that would not be necessary.

Prepared sweet and sour sauce is not the correct condiment to serve with them though. That would be a soy sauce/sesame oil/black vinegar-based sauce.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
Master Chef

Mish,

Will get the recipe for you, but it probably won't have exact measurements.

My favorite chinese dumpling is a Shanghai soup dumpling. To make them, you enclose a cube of gellied broth, then stema them. When you eat them, a soup spoon full of soup squirts out.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
dnjdery

Just a comment. ^4 years ago my uncle had a chinese american restaurant in Mass. Hired the best chinese cook he could find in Boston. This individual had his own stove brought from China and made egg rolls from scratch for each order. They were made with shrimp, lobster, bean sprouts and i don't know what else though i watched him make them. They were unbelievably good. My aunt unintentionally insulted him and he left in a huff. After I grew up i spent many years trying to duplicate his egg rolls and tried them in hundreds of restaurants without success. In my opinion the egg rolls now served in most chinese restauants are a disgrace.
Ido make egg rolls and potstickers myself which we enjoy very much. But i'd sell my soul to just taste one like the master made.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #20
dnjdery

that was 64 years ago

Tags
None