"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Head Chef

Pot stickers/Dim sum ISO good food

Pot stickers and Dim sum.
1.Are these from the same ethnic traditions?
2.Are they the same on the inside or different?
3.Are the dipping sauces the same or different?
4.I understand that the steaming of the dim sum is quite different from the technique of frying, steaming and frying of the pot stickers, can you give me any advice about technique?
5.I have ground chicken and ground pork, cabbage, green and yellow onion, ginger, wonton wrappers, large selection of herbs/spices and condiments. I want to cook something tonight. Where do I begin?
TIA ~Blissful

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

You might want to read this on Dim sum and this on Jiaozi (potstickers if they are fried) to get an understanding of what they are and what they contain.

You might find these resources of help for recipes:

Jiaozi recipes
Potsticker recipes
Dim sum recipes

Maybe Kaixin (Xiaosui) will see this thread and can give some authentic home recipes.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thank you Michael for all the resources. I read them this morning and I see I have a lot to learn.
I wanted to make some dim sum tonight, so I did. I used 1 lb ground pork, 1/2 lb shredded cabbage, 4 green onions chopped, 1 square inch of ginger, 4 cloves of garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce. I mixed it together with my hands. I put a tablespoon of the mixture in a wonton wrapper and sealed it, like a purse, some like other bizarre shapes, I'm just learning, and then they went into a steamer. After they were cooked and the wonton wrapper cooked, they stuck for the most part to the bamboo steamer bottom. Some looked better than others. They tasted good, but they were not identical and presentation was poor. I had two dipping sauces, one of garlic, ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and oil. One of oyster sauce and rice wine vinegar. Both of them turned out well.
What can I do to improve presentation? Should I have oiled the bamboo steamer before trying to steam them? Are the wonton wrappers a mistake, should I make my own dim sum wrappers?
Thank you in advance, ~Blissful
Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's been so long since I've cooked dim sum - but can you put lettuce leaves down first?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Someone correct me if they think I am wrong, but I always thought that DIM SUM has the same meaning as TAPAs .. basically meaning *little snacks* and that POTSTICKERS are a subset of DIM SUM. In other words, there are more things under DIM SUM, such chicken feet in bean sauce or custard tarts or siu mai or hargow, etc etc etc.

Here is an URL (blog really), I just love to look at the pictures they take. :-) This group of people every so often try out new DIM SUM places. I sure would love to be part of their group. I'd take the pictures just as long as they feed me. hehe Anyway, here's the URL: dim sum times
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

You are right - however, her steamed dim sum - sum o' dim are stickin' Sorry, I'll be good.

Whether something is steamed or fried or even a pastry - these little bites are called dim sum. Dim sum is the bigger picture, just like tapas is the bigger picture. Pot stickers ARE dim sum, steamed dumplings ARE dim sum, along with sweet treats.

GREAT point to bring up Gossie!! It's funny how those steamed little "purses" is the food that is associated with dim sum.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Is this what you guys are talking about?

These are known as siu mai or shumai or shu mai and are a popular item for dim sum menus.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The ones with the wrappers all the way up so it encloses the filling and are squeezed together to create a little purse is the picture in my mind. But yes, those too.

I love shu mai!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Cook

nothing beats a bright white, steamed BBQ pork bun......
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Here's some easy pot stickers.

Tags
None