"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
it really is a Russian cucumber - tomato salad, but somehow it became Israeli salad in America. I bet Israeli do not even know it's exists.
Ha, true! Just like if you go to China and order General Tso's Chicken they look at you like you have two heads.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Here in SoCal we have Chinese restaurants that offer "Hunan" beef or "Szechuan" beef, like in some way that the whole cuisine of a vast region of China could be reduced to one recipe. Needless to say the variation of these dishes at different restaurants is wider than the commonality.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
Master Chef

Mine are just about ready to use. Haven't decided what to use them in yet. A tagine-type dish? More a starch or salad? They'll keep for awhile, just contemplating the options.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Try them in a pasta dish--or cous-cous with lots of veggies.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD

it really is a Russian cucumber - tomato salad, but somehow it became Israeli salad in America. I bet Israeli do not even know it's exists.
My Israeli husband would give you the death stare if he read that! Haha
He said in Israel they call it Arab salad (how it translates)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Preserved lemons are delicious in tuna salad.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds lovely
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
Master Chef

Since my last post I've used them in taboule along with the last tomatoes from the garden. But I used them in couscous once before. There are still maybe 3 lemons left in the jar. I want to find some lamb and make a stew type of dish (a tagine) with the rest of them, and start all over again.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Since my last post I've used them in taboule along with the last tomatoes from the garden. But I used them in couscous once before. There are still maybe 3 lemons left in the jar. I want to find some lamb and make a stew type of dish (a tagine) with the rest of them, and start all over again.
I'm trying to imagine how you used them in taboule. Did you chop them up? Did you squeeze them? As you can tell, I have never even met a preserved lemon.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I always use organic lemons. Inorganic lemons, usually made with wax or plaster and found in the tchotchkes section of Marshalls or T.J. Maxx , don't have any juice in them!.

Tags
recipe

Preserved Lemons [QUOTE=CWS4322;1149950]Remind me how to make preserved lemons--I always buy mine...expensive![/QUOTE] They aren't really hard to make. The most effort will be sterilizing the mason jars. Ingredients 12 organic lemons, washed and dried. You may need a few extra depending on size and for juice. 1 Cup pickling or koshar salt Make cuts in each lemon starting at the blossom end to the stem end, stopping within 1/2" of the stem end. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. Sterilize 3 pint jars, lids and rings in boiling water. Each jar should be done just before you are ready to stuff them, so the are still warm. Place salt in a bowl large enough to work over. Working over the bowl, gently spread apart the lemons and apply salt generously to the insides. Excess salt will fall back into the bowl. Immediately, add each lemon to the jar, pressing it down firmly to release juice. Fill each jar to within an inch of the top, making sure the lemons are completely covered in juice. Add 2 Tbsp of salt to each jar. Add lids and seal jars. Let cure for 3 weeks, turning the jars over every 2 days. 3 stars 1 reviews