"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Timothy, you and I must be related!
Are you my long-lost Sister? My Dad *did* get around a lot...

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

To: All the Writers Online Who have commented on Sea Scallops,

Thank you for your invaluable info on the scallop catch in Maine and the price details. They can certainly cost the earth with coral ... However, this as you already are aware, is a special occasion appetiser ... Not a daily meal ... And the recipe is quite diversified, and can be used with seabass, cod fish, shrimps or prawns, halibut and other USA variety catches, such as Ma Hi Ma Hi ( doplhin fish = NOT the mammal ! ) and / or filet of chicken breasts. Thanks for all ur info once again.
M.C.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
To: All the Writers Online Who have commented on Sea Scallops,

Thank you for your invaluable info on the scallop catch in Maine and the price details. They can certainly cost the earth with coral ... However, this as you already are aware, is a special occasion appetiser ... Not a daily meal ... And the recipe is quite diversified, and can be used with seabass, cod fish, shrimps or prawns, halibut and other USA variety catches, such as Ma Hi Ma Hi ( doplhin fish = NOT the mammal ! ) and / or filet of chicken breasts. Thanks for all ur info once again.
M.C.
Margi, they cost the earth without coral! Around here sea scallops go for anywhere between $18 and $25 per pound. And the Nantucket Cape Scallops (my personal favorites) can go even higher.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Margi, they cost the earth without coral! Around here sea scallops go for anywhere between $18 and $25 per pound. And the Nantucket Cape Scallops (my personal favorites) can go even higher.
They're $15 a pound here!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Interesting, especially since you are farther away from the source than I am.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting, especially since you are farther away from the source than I am.
Once or twice a year, they put them on sale for about $11 per/pound. I generally buy enough to last the year then and drop a $100+ on them.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It is nigh unto impossible to get scallops in their shells in US, much less with the coral! Especially for the home cook.

Your recipe sounds wonderful, but I'm wondering what about it makes it "Provencal?" That term generally refers to a combination of garlic and tomatoes (which, by the way, I DON'T like with scallops).
We can get them here. They have a fleet of boats down in New Bedford that are scallopers. When they come in, they unload and send their catch to the Boston Auction. You just have to be willing to find a fishmonger. We have one right here in Central Square and it is called "Right Off The Boat." One side is the store, and the other side is the restaurant. A small one with only a few tables. He has the freshest fish and shellfish right from the auction.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It is nigh unto impossible to get scallops in their shells in US, much less with the coral! Especially for the home cook.
you need to befriend a diver.

dw's friend's hubby is a dive master that brings back scallops and lobsters during summer dives in the sound and the atlantic. that's when he's not diving on the andrea doria.

there's nothing like a fresh, real (not treated in any way) scallop. yum.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
Executive Chef

@ Bucky,

Good Morning,

Thanks for your input. Personally, I rather own the Fleet of Fishing boats that go net the Sea Scallops ! verses being a friend of a Diver ! My viewpoint.

Truly, glad that they are a symbol of Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain: The Santiago Way.

Has anyone ever seen the film: lead actor Martin Sheen, who is Galician American, made and directed called, The Santiago Way ?

This is an ancient route and shrine ( next to Roma and Jerusalem ) of Catholic Pilgrims going to the shrine of Saint James ... He protrays an Eye Doctor of 62 yrs old who receives a phone call from the Navarran Police in the Pyrenees ( there are a dozen routes more or less for this Special Walk in which you receive a Certificate ).

The police tell Martin Sheen, that his son was found dead. Martin makes the trip to claim his son´s body and thus, he makes this Walk, called the EL CAMINO SANTIAGO in Spanish.

The film was made here in Galicia and the original is in English. It is a very profound film.

I highly suggest it. This film is amazing photographically of the northern provinces of Spain.

Have nice wkend.

JOISY is NEW JERSEY, YES ?
Kind regards.
Margi.

Tags
recipe

Provencal Style Sea Scallops On Shell Provencal Style Sea Scallops For 2 people - as an Appetiser for special occasion: 10 fresh large sea scallops ( corals and shells ) 2 tablespoons French Cognac 3 garlic cloves minced 1 tomato black freshly grinded pepper all purpose flour Sea salt or Himalayan Rose salt 3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil ( Hojiblanca and / or Arbequina from Girona, Iberian Peninsula or La Rioja ) A pinch of Provencal Herbs ( sold in Mixture as well in the U.S.A. ) 1) SCRUB THE SHELLS and wash the scallop discs and corals well 2) remove the corals from the shells and reserve on a plate 3) cut each scallop in half horizontally and dry with absorbent paper towelling 4) dust the scallops on both sides lightly in flour and the herbs 5) place the cleaned shells in a medium hot oven at 350 degrees farenheit or 180 degrees centigrade ( see number 6 ) 6) heat the shells on heat proof dish or on cookie tray ( a couple of minutes in a preheated oven ) 7) heat the olive oil in a sauté pan ( skillet ) and when hot, sauté garlic minced and as soon as they turn a bit golden, add the Corals and sauté for one minute. Then, the scallops one more minute per side. 8) stand back from the stove and add the Cognac ( flambée ) so that u do not get burnt; and allow to simmer 1 minute to burn the alcohol off. 9) Stir in parsely acting as a garnish on top sprinkled with green for color and a pinch of the Provencal Herb Mixture 10) serve on the warm shells with candlelight ! 11) White Wine / Champagne : Albariño Santiago Ruiz 2010 or Pazo de Señorans 2010 - Galicia - Spain or Prosecco or Cava ... *** see my photo album called Sea Scallops Margi Cintrano 3 stars 1 reviews