Queso para freir for Poblanos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
Would queso para freir cheese be a good choice for stuffing poblano peppers as part of a chile rellenos dish?

What would your choice of cheese be?

Thanks,
Tom

Michael in Fort Worth:

I was hoping you would weigh in as I am about to cook the above dish. :flowers:

Tom

Jikoni - rellenos in Spanish means "stuffed" - well, at least that's what my fading memory of Spanish classes tells me. LOL.

TomW was asking for a good cheese to stuff his poblano peppers with.

Sometimes fresh chile peppers are stuffed with cheese, coated with a batter and fried. Other times people use chile peppers as the base for a casserole that may contain some meat, rice, and additional seasonings.

Jikoni - rellenos in Spanish means "stuffed" - well, at least that's what my fading memory of Spanish classes tells me. LOL.

TomW was asking for a good cheese to stuff his poblano peppers with.

Sometimes fresh chile peppers are stuffed with cheese, coated with a batter and fried. Other times people use chile peppers as the base for a casserole that may contain some meat, rice, and additional seasonings.

Thanks a lot simplicity, it sounds like something I would like to try. Sounds yummy. :)

My brain is in reverse gear this morning. LOL. I should have added freir in Spanish means "to fry" and queso means "cheese" TomW was going to deep fry his. I'm wondering how they turned out.

There are a lot of recipes on the web. If you try the casseole it will read something like Chilies Rellenos Con Carne - stuffed chilies (peppers) with meat.

Enjoy!

... I'm wondering how they turned out. ...
They turned out great!

But I chickened out and used your Monterrey Jack cheese suggestion instead of the queso para freir cheese the grocery store sold me.

Several years ago, I used Cotija cheese after a Mexican cookbook recommended it for stuffing poblanos, and did not like it since it did not melt any. Worrying that the queso para freir cheese would act the same way, I decided against using it.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Tom, not all Mexican-style cheeses will melt. You may want to try many different kinds to find out which ones will, and which ones won't. I know Queso Fresco doesn't melt, but does taste great sprinkled on some dishes. Queso Asadero melts very well, but let the cheese come up to room temp before attempting to separate the slices. IMHO, Queso Asadero tastes like American Cheese, maybe a little stronger.

Back
Top Bottom