"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
Cook

ok i got a question on sushi

when i orderd plain tuna sushi (not spicy tuna) they put like this orange mayonase looking sauce in between the sushi and rice. What is that sauce?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This sauce is usually the spicy sauce - mayonnaise, chili garlic paste, chili oil (though I never seem to have any so I don't use it), and dark sesame oil. Now, there are some serious hotter sauces they use - but this one can be made weak or hotter depending on how you like it.

BUT, this should have a bit of spice to it! Maybe it was a weaker version?

Going back to your original question I have made sushi with brown rice. While it did not stick as well it was still really good - I also made a dipping sauce using a peanut sauce and soy sauce. It was really good. For the vegetarians you can use grilled tempeh as your "fish".

If you need further instructions with the spicy sauce mentioned above let me know.

Or was the orange just masago? Did the orange have a texture? ...cruncy little grains?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
Cook

No it just kinda tasted like mayonase, it didnt taste spicy at all.
but it tasted great. im glad the brown rice worked out. However since brown rice is less sticky and not as soft as white rice, if u let it sit iin water longer will it be just as soft?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Usually, the only thing that would color the mayo orange and NOT be spicy would be a type of roe like KElf said. If it wasn't masago than it probably was tobiko. It could be that with all of the other textures going on you didn't detect it. Did the mayo have any tiny orange specks in it? I can't think of anything else used in a sushi restaurant that would color the mayo orange.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Another way of enjoying "sushi" is the "country style"--I'm not going to get the spelling right probably but it is chirasco. The rice and fish are put in a bowl. Can be topped with nori strips. Still delicious.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
Cook

ok guys im gonna go search for fresh tuna and salmon and buy me a sushi kit :-)
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

You'll enjoy it. It's fun to make and easy too.

There are lots of options, you don't have to use raw fish. You can use vegetables, crabmeat, etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #18
Cook

i know but i want to use mostly salmon and tuna. Ok so i was thinking...i want to make sushi every day. im trying to eat 5 meals a day of good quality protien and complex carbs. I figured tuna/salmon and brown rice fit perfectly.
i need about 30 grams of protien each meal. soo...how many pounds of tuna and salmon should i get?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffwannabe
No it just kinda tasted like mayonase, it didnt taste spicy at all.
but it tasted great. im glad the brown rice worked out. However since brown rice is less sticky and not as soft as white rice, if u let it sit iin water longer will it be just as soft?
The orange probably came from a roe - either masago or tobiko.

About the brown rice - I don't think it will become stickier - just ickier Seriously, you may need to add a bit more water, that might help. Let it cook longer versus "sit in water longer" - unless that's what you meant. That phrase just makes me think of soggy.

I had to squeeze and press the dickens out of it on the nori, but it worked ok. You have to have a VERY sharp knife so the rice won't want to fall off.

Gretchen - I have done the bowl before - I thought I was just being lazy, now I know it has a name!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
Cook

thanks for letting me know kitchenelf. i greatly appreciate since i dont know sh*t about sushi.

what do you recommend on my previous post:
know but i want to use mostly salmon and tuna. Ok so i was thinking...i want to make sushi every day. im trying to eat 5 meals a day of good quality protien and complex carbs. I figured tuna/salmon and brown rice fit perfectly.
i need about 30 grams of protien each meal. soo...how many pounds of tuna and salmon should i get?

Tags
None