"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
sal****er parasites are big
Nick, are you cursing again??

Old 10-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffwannabe
I bought the book "sushi for wimps" its a good book. lots of photos and illustrations. I still have yet to buy fresh tuna or salmon! lol
Gonna keep lookin for a fresh sea food market near my area

(any recommendations? i live in dupage county, illinois)

Also how the **** can you see the actual parasites in salmon?
Buff, now you want us to pick a place for you to shop?????

Just ask the guy at the fish counter has the salmon or tuna ever been frozen. He's going to say yes. You are home free at that point. Buy some, make your sushi, keep track of what you spent and how much it made.

Now, if you ask us to feed you....................................

Nicholas - the sashimi grade tuna comes in these perfect chunks ready to use - so I guess really $7.99 isn't that bad, huh?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Man, I live in the Northeast where Tuna/Swordfish/Cod/Haddock fishing is pretty big, and I can't get fresh sushi-grade tuna that cheap ever!

They sell pre-frozen blocks of trimmed "sushi-grade" yellowfin for $6/lb or so, but I'd rather just eat rice than that junk!

The only seafood I'll eat that was pre-frozen is shrimp. Unbelieveably I was served "flash-frozen" hamachi at a local sushi bar. When I'm paying $12 for six 1oz pieces of nigiri I expect uber-fresh. If I want fish-stick grade, well, I wouldn't, but if I did - I'd get a McFish Sandwich! I am not a picky person when I go out to eat, but I expect to be given fresh food - especially at a Sushi Bar! I complained to the sushi chef who replaced it with a few pieces of toro - but they didn't knock anything off my bill. So I scratched that place off my list.

Today I ate at the other sushi-bar near-by, which used to take 2nd seat - but has really kicked up their quality. Unbelieveable fish there, and the best rice around. I usually spend $20-$25/wk, so they give me a few free items too which is great. Today he gave me five thin slices of real toothfish sashimi free of charge! Very clean, excellent texture, and interesting mild flavor. I wouldn't pay what big New York Sushi Bars get for this, but it was a new food for me!

I still love good quality Hamachi... it's my fav.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Today he gave me five thin slices of real toothfish sashimi free of charge! Very clean, excellent texture, and interesting mild flavor. I wouldn't pay what big New York Sushi Bars get for this, but it was a new food for me!
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "toothfish"? Is it "Patagonian Toothfish" otherwise known as "Chilean Sea Bass"?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Yeah, but not the fake stuff. It's caught in the uber-cold & deep waters around Antarctica (not always off the coast of Chile). That small plate of sashimi probably would go for $75 in a city. The chef told me it was "From Him". Eating there once or twice a week at $20-$25/pop, I probably spend close to a couple grand a year, so every once in a while he surprises me with stuff like this that isn't on the menu.

To be honest it wasn't earth-shattering, but it was good. I always enjoy new things (well, usually I do... ).
Old 10-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

I am always looking for great sushi restaurants in MA. Which one (if you don't mind me asking) do you frequent most Nicholas Mosher?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #57
Sous Chef

I live at the northern tip of the Quabbin Resivoir in central Massachusetts in "The Lost Towns" (Athol). However, I grew up 1/2hr west in Greenfield where I91 intersects Rte2. Greenfield has two sushi bars (both integrated into hybrid chinese/japanese places). "The China Gourmet" is the place that has really gone downhill. "The New Fortune" has the sushi bar I've been going to for awhile now. Excellent fresh fish there. They don't always have items like Uni or Abalone, but what they do have is good, and they make great rice with a Hangari and Fan - not just a rice maker with everything dumped in for an easy one step but flawed process.

20min south of Greenfield off I91 is Northampton which has some absolutely fantastic places for grub. Cha Cha Cha's is the casual place I was talking about in another thread which features Mexican/Indian/Middle Eastern fusion cuisine. Nothing fancy, kinda cafeteria style where you grab utensils from buckets, but the food is all $5 or $6 a plate, healthy portions, and good! I like the Tandoori Chicken Salad and Fish Tacos with a side of Fresh Tortilla Chips and a few types of so-cal salsas using tropical fruits and Indian spices. It's an earthy-crunchy college town loaded with great food, theaters, music, and parks. I'd live there if my job wasn't up here in north-central mass and rent wasn't so cheap here in the Lost Towns. You can get pretty much any type of food you want. Only thing they're missing is some African cuisines (especially Ethiopian). It's really depressing we don't have any out here (that I know of that is). Boston has "The Red Sea", but thats about it that I know of.

One nice thing about having my Pilot's License is that I can pack a few people into a 172 and fly places to try out restaurants. I'm hoping to get out to Albany and up to Montreal a few times later this year. Nothing like bringing back blueberries from Maine either!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Ah Northampton, I know it well. I spent many a drunken night there in my college days. I know Athol too, but don't think I have ever spent any time there. I always get a good chuckle out of the name though. If/when I am in those areas I will certainly check out The New Fortune. Sounds like a cool place!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Northampton is a great town (but the rent and taxes are up in the stratosphere there). I have to drive west about 15min to get to work, so I might move 1/2hr west back to Greenfield later this year. I'm heading back to school this spring to work on a business degree, and eventually I'll end up back at UMass after a year or so at a college in Greenfield. I figure I'll have the same drive to work (just 15min east instead of 15min west), and it will also place me about 20min from Amherst/Northampton.

Greenfield is actually coming along quite well - I'm suprised. They even have a couple Thai places now along with the usual pizza/chinese shops. Being right on Rte2/I91, you can quickly get to the Green Mountains in Vermont, Brattleboro, and west out to the Berkshires. Right now I kinda live 30-45min from anything that is remotely entertaining (which stinks).

Where did you go to school, UMass? Amherst College?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #60
Chief Eating Officer

I went to school at Franklin Pierce College in NH, but 100 out of 320 kids in my highschool ended up at UMass. My brother, wife, and lots of other friends were there too. I think I spend more time at UMass than my own school actually.

I now live in North Grafton (about 15 minutes east of Worcester), but I do get out to the Western part of the state every once in a while still.

Tags
None