Question for Italian cooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still waiting for an answer, I guess...
skeleton-using-a-computer-aahfn9.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

I've been wondering about this! In all the years I've had links with Italy and Italian people, and in all the years I've lived here, neither I nor my friends, nor the people on the Italian cookery newsgroup I follow have ever heard of this. As a linguist, I quite understand that it may well be a word invented by Italian emigrants to other countries such as Britain, the USA and Australia. But the members of my Italian newsgroup have never heard of it. Inventing words that have some of one language and some of another is quite common in immgrant communities. To identify exactly what Sompanelli really are it would help if one knew the recipe. So far we only have 'batter', and there are several versions of that in Italy, so in order for me to research a bit better so that I can send some cogent information to you, those details would help greatly. You've got me fascinated!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I've been wondering about this! In all the years I've had links with Italy and Italian people, and in all the years I've lived here, neither I nor my friends, nor the people on the Italian cookery newsgroup I follow have ever heard of this. As a linguist, I quite understand that it may well be a word invented by Italian emigrants to other countries such as Britain, the USA and Australia. But the members of my Italian newsgroup have never heard of it. Inventing words that have some of one language and some of another is quite common in immgrant communities. To identify exactly what Sompanelli really are it would help if one knew the recipe. So far we only have 'batter', and there are several versions of that in Italy, so in order for me to research a bit better so that I can send some cogent information to you, those details would help greatly. You've got me fascinated!

Unfortunately, the last time the OP posted on the forum was 1-31-2006, so it's unlikely she'll be back to give details.

As a linguist and interpreter, I'm still interested and fascinated in researching the etymology of this word, so as and when I get a result, I'll post it!

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

As a linguist and interpreter, I'm still interested and fascinated in researching the etymology of this word, so as and when I get a result, I'll post it!

Go ahead. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. I just didn't want you waiting around for someone who is long gone to give you details ;)

sampanella

We make these all the time.

The butter:

Grind 3 lbs of salted fatback (not the skin you will need that to grease the pans) and mix in garlic and rosemary to taste. More is better!!!
this will be your butter that is spread on the sampanella. Best to make this a couple of days before you make them so as to infuse the flavor of the rosemary and garlic into the ground salted fatback.

The batter:

5 pounds flour
6 eggs
salt to taste
water till very thin and runny

The pans

you can use a skillet. grease the pan with a piece of fatback and just pour in a bit of the batter and roll the pan until the batter is evenly spread and cook till lightly crispy on the edges.

The authentic way is to use special pans that resemble banjos. Heat on low and grease the pans. pour a bit of batter onto the pan and immediately place the other half of the pan on top of the other to flatten the batter to thin and spread. We use an old sad iron on top of the pan to help flatten and thin the cooking batter. Cook for about 45 seconds and turn the pans over and do the same. Time may vary depending on how hot your pans get. Once done pass to a partner who spreads the butter across the whole side of the sampanella and then sprinkle a liberal dose of Asiago cheese across the butter. Fold in half fold in half again. This recipe is good for an average batch of 120. It takes about 3 hour or so over the stove to make.

You can eat them as they come off the pans or layer them in baking trays and rewarm in oven later if they are for a party. They freeze well and are just as good later.

Important note. NEVER LET THE BATTER THICKEN UP!!! You will from time to time have to add water to the batter to keep it thin.

I have a video of the process and will try to figure out how to post it.

Attachments

• Feb 2016 027.JPG
    Feb 2016 027.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Feb 2016 028.JPG
    Feb 2016 028.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom