Quick, easy to make Mexican dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dergyll

Assistant Cook
Hello guys!:chef:

Anyone know a simple mexican dessert that I can make using ingredients from a grocery store? I'd prefer something special, salsa and chips is a little trite, but if it's a special salsa then sure!

Open to any suggestions!
Derg

Flan isn't really all that simple though. It is very authentic.

Feel up to a challenge dergyll?

Mexican Chocolate Sundaes

Mexican Chocolate Sundaes
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup hot water
2½ teaspoons instant espresso powder
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Whisk cream, hot water and espresso powder in heavy small saucepan to blend. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in cinnamon. (Sauce can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Re-warm over low heat just until pourable before using.
Serve over coffee ice cream with Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Crisps.

Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Crisps
¼ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas

Mix butter, sugar and cinnamon in small bowl to blend. Spread butter mixture evenly over tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Place wedges on baking sheets, buttered side up, spacing apart. Preheat oven to 400º. Bake tortillas uncovered until crisp, puffed and golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven.

Lemon Granita and Polvorones

Not really "quick" - but very easy.
Classic Lemon Granita
4 cups sugar
6 cups water
2 cups fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons grated lemon rind

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and let cool. Pour cooled mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or until firm. Remove mixture from freezer; scrape and spoon mixture into food processor; blend until smooth and creamy. Spoon into a container, cover and re-freeze overnight. Yields 36 (1/3-cup) servings.

Polvorones ("Mexican Wedding Cookies")
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup ground peanuts or almonds
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter; cut up
powdered sugar
colored tissue paper squares; (4 x 4 inches)
wax paper squares; (4 x 4 inches)

Combine first 4 ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. (Can combine in food processor all together, including chopped nuts.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 8 x 6-inch rectangle (1/2-inch thick). Cut into 24 (2 x 1-inch) pieces. Arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350º for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Roll in powdered sugar. Top each tissue square with a wax paper square. Place a polvorone in center; wrap, twisting ends to seal.
Yields 2 dozen.

Last edited:
Sopapillas

You can make a quick faux-sopapilla by cutting large tortillas (try to find the kind that is made fresh, like at a farmer's market, vs. the thick ones they have at the store) into wedges and pan frying them in a mix of melted butter and vegetable oil. When they are browned and crispy, remove them from the heat, drain briefly on paper towels and drizzle with honey, cinnamon and sugar. Serve them with whipped cream topped with some more cinnamon.

You can also make a quick version of Mexican hot chocolate by making hot chocolate from a packet (try to find dark chocolate flavored) and adding some cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Again, top with whipped cream and cinnamon.

Im not sure if this is Mexican or not, but Bobby Flay had someone on one of his shows ( I think from Mexico, or South America) who made a real simple dessert. He took a ripe banana, wrapped it in foil. Grilled it until it was hot. Opened the banana up. Poured some sweetened condensed milk over the banana. Then, sprinkled some cinnamon over the top. I actually tried it and it was very good, and very simple.

Im not sure if this is Mexican or not, but Bobby Flay had someone on one of his shows ( I think from Mexico, or South America) who made a real simple dessert. He took a ripe banana, wrapped it in foil. Grilled it until it was hot. Opened the banana up. Poured some sweetened condensed milk over the banana. Then, sprinkled some cinnamon over the top. I actually tried it and it was very good, and very simple.

I wonder if you could put the sweetened
condensed milk on the banana before
grilling it. Wouldn't it carmelize and make
a nice sauce? Maybe it would burn, I'll
have to try it one of these days.

I just got myself in the mood for it. Too lazy to grill it up, so i just dipped the banana into the condensed milk with cinnamon. Its one of those things that seem too easy and simple, but really works. Just make sure the condensed milk is sweetened :)

Larry, your banana recipe is TOTALLY authentic. There is a cart that makes the rounds in our neighborhood that sells exactly the same thing - also sweet potatoes done the same way. It is a huge treat here. Of course, flan is also my first choice, but the banana thing is yummy!

Im glad that I provided accurate info. Thanks for the confirmation. I remember watching this on television, and couldnt believe how easy it was. Tried it, and loved it :)

Back
Top Bottom