REC - Stir-fried Chicken and Broccoli (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
This is a recipe from my mom that I have made many times.

Stir-fried Chicken and Broccoli

1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp. Chinese oyster sauce
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce, optional
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. water
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 lg. bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
5 scallions, sliced
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds, optional

In small bowl, combine broth, oyster sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and hot pepper sauce. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat until oil starts to smoke. Add the chicken and cook, stirring continuously until no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli and cook stirring continually until broccoli turns bright green and chicken is cooked, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in broth mixture and cook stirring frequently. Stir in scallions and cornstarch mixture. Cook stirring until sauce comes to a boil, thickens, and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over white rice. Makes 4 servings.

Everything sounds good, except the oyster part :sick:
I can't get past the taste of it. I'll have to find something else to substitute that. Thanks for sharing!!:)

I can't find it now, but someplace I read that you could use anchovy paste as a substitute for the fishy flavor of oyster sauce.

Here's what I found on a Chinese food site:

Oyster sauce - A dark brown, delicate sauce made from oysters and soy sauce, is a staple condiment and seasoning in Chinese cooking that adds richess to dishes without dominating their natural flavors. Available in cans or bottles from Chinese or oriental provision stores. No substitute-omit from the recipe if unavailable

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom