Red Habaneros and Vietnamese cuisine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
There is a large Vietnamese population here in Minnesota.
I went to their farmer's market the other day. They sell this beautiful red Habaneros. By the buckets full. I asked what people do with them. Apparently they make sauce. I assume a hot sauce, quite a hot judging by the habaneros hit index is rated 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale.
But that is not what i am trying to ask here.

Does anybody know a Vietnamese recipe for habanero hot sauce. Unfortunately language barrier prevented me from finding anything. Any TNT recipe?
Thank you.

P.S, I have never seen the red habaneros in a regular grocery store, why is it?

Charlie, I don't know of a recipe like that, but I wonder if they use habaneros because they're more common here than some Asian peppers. I think they could be substituted in any Vietnamese hot red sauce recipe.

I've seen red, orange and yellow habaneros in grocery stores here. We have a pretty diverse population, including Mexicans, Filipinos and Indians, largely because of the significant military presence, especially the Navy.

Last edited:
I have not really seen any recipes using habaneros in all of my SE Asian cookbooks (and there are a lot of them in there!). In the last 20 years or so, they have been appearing more often in the Asian markets that I go to, probably because they have become so common in the general marketplace. I can't think of anything that I would add that habanero flavor to, in the way of Vietnamese or Thai food, but I'm sure there would be something it would be good in. I'm not a fan of vinegar based hot sauces, which habaneros are often used for.

In Mexican, Yucatan cooking has a lot of habanero based recipes.

That red habanero can be any variety that ripens red. Back before ghost peppers, the Red Savina was the hottest in the world, at 500-550k (that's mild, now!). But that's not what those red ones usually are in stores. And they won't always be hotter than the orange and yellow ones. A lot of habaneros in stores have had some of the heat bred out of them, though they will still be hot, I'm sure! I can't say why they wouldn't be in supermarkets up there - I see all different colors in the stores hee, even the chocolate habs occasionally.

Last edited:
Is there a label or name designation for them, like Carolina Reaper? I am not aware of a Vietnamese sauce using habaneros, but there is a fresh salsa called Xni Pec (shnee pick) from the indigenous people of Mexico and central America that uses habaneros. In English it means "Dog's nose salsa".

Back
Top Bottom