"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just responding to someone who doesn't care for tomatillos...I like them. I think if you are an adult, you should be able to not eat what you don't care for. And leaving one ingredient out of a recipe isn't that big a deal.

Your recipe sounds great!
Oops, I missed that the person didn't care for tomatillos...I know they are hard to find in some places and they are STICKY. And, they do have their own unique taste...I don't eat them by themselves <g>. I make the salsa in late summer/fall and pressure can it. I have also frozen the tomatillos to have for later. We grow tomatillos because my DH planted them one year...he treats them as if they are weeds except in one part of the garden. a very invasive plant <g>. For those who don't think they can grow anything, tomatillos are pretty care free and disease free. Any "extra" tomatillos get ground for the dogs' veggies. I really need more recipes for tomatillos other than salsa verde...now that I've got him hooked on chicken enchilladas made with salsa verde, he tolerates the tomatillos. I have a couple of other recipes from green salsa, but that one is the TNT favorite. I also dump it in chicken chili (white chili) sometimes.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oops, I missed that the person didn't care for tomatillos...I know they are hard to find in some places and they are STICKY. And, they do have their own unique taste...I don't eat them by themselves <g>. I make the salsa in late summer/fall and pressure can it. I have also frozen the tomatillos to have for later. We grow tomatillos because my DH planted them one year...he treats them as if they are weeds except in one part of the garden. a very invasive plant <g>. For those who don't think they can grow anything, tomatillos are pretty care free and disease free. Any "extra" tomatillos get ground for the dogs' veggies. I really need more recipes for tomatillos other than salsa verde...now that I've got him hooked on chicken enchilladas made with salsa verde, he tolerates the tomatillos. I have a couple of other recipes from green salsa, but that one is the TNT favorite. I also dump it in chicken chili (white chili) sometimes.
I put it on everything...if I ate ice cream I'd probably pour it on there, too!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Oh, good grief. I give up. New computer. I seem to keep posting things before I'm through typing it! Can't open the message from a site moderator. Oh, well. It is a good recipe!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, good grief. I give up. New computer. I seem to keep posting things before I'm through typing it! Can't open the message from a site moderator. Oh, well. It is a good recipe!
I just asked you to repost the recipe...it only got as far as

"2 pounds pork but"

Oh and I offered some hugs!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'll try again! Two times I managed to somehow post the first line and nothing else. Comes from an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I know I'm hitting a key accidentally, but as I'm a touch typer (from olden days), I have no idea what key I'm hitting. So, try, try again!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

My Cousin Joanne's New Mexican Green Chili Stew

2 lbs pork butt
lard or cooking oil I use bacon fat with excellent results
1 onion, chopped
4 med potatoes, diced
4 med zucchini, grated
12 large green chillies I use Anaheim or poblano, a simple case of availability. Green bell doesn't taste as good in this recipe. Roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp garlic salt I use several cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
1 tsp salt I salt to tasste
6-7c water I use low sodium chicken broth

cut meat into very small pieces - about 1/2" cubes -- brown in a little oil with the onion and potatoes in a large, deep, heavy pan. If there's any excess fat, drain it. ad water (broth/stock), vegetables and seasonings.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook for a minimum of an hour (longer preferred).

This is my cousin's widow's recipe. The itallics are mine, from experience. The long cooking will allow the squash (and that green squash on another line ... merlit-something or chayote, would do well) and peppers to meld into the sauce.

Cousin Joanne says to eat it with Navaho fry bread or sopapillas. I don't like to deep fry, so a bowl and spoon are all I need, but any flat bread, obviously flour tortillas, would go great.

The beige or pinkish color someone described comes from NOT using all-green vegetables. In other words, a red pepper will change the color (and, yes, the flavor).
Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No the tomatillos are not critical...the pork and green chiles are. Check the freezer section in the store and see if there are frozen, roasted anaheims or if you can get Hatches green chiles, get a bunch of those, drain and chop. Enjoy, I love green chile and often shred the pork and turn it into a gravy for eggs, etc. I would be happy with green chile for every meal.
You stay away from my freezer! lol

-Damien
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You stay away from my freezer! lol

-Damien
Head over to Damien's he's got the frozen, roasted green chiles!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My Cousin Joanne's New Mexican Green Chili Stew

2 lbs pork butt
lard or cooking oil I use bacon fat with excellent results
1 onion, chopped
4 med potatoes, diced
4 med zucchini, grated
12 large green chillies I use Anaheim or poblano, a simple case of availability. Green bell doesn't taste as good in this recipe. Roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp garlic salt I use several cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
1 tsp salt I salt to tasste
6-7c water I use low sodium chicken broth

cut meat into very small pieces - about 1/2" cubes -- brown in a little oil with the onion and potatoes in a large, deep, heavy pan. If there's any excess fat, drain it. ad water (broth/stock), vegetables and seasonings.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook for a minimum of an hour (longer preferred).

This is my cousin's widow's recipe. The itallics are mine, from experience. The long cooking will allow the squash (and that green squash on another line ... merlit-something or chayote, would do well) and peppers to meld into the sauce.

Cousin Joanne says to eat it with Navaho fry bread or sopapillas. I don't like to deep fry, so a bowl and spoon are all I need, but any flat bread, obviously flour tortillas, would go great.

The beige or pinkish color someone described comes from NOT using all-green vegetables. In other words, a red pepper will change the color (and, yes, the flavor).
Sounds wonderful, Claire! Thank you for reposting! Copied and pasted.

My favorite is putting green chili over rice.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When you guys type "pork butt" do you mean from the buttocks of the pig? I only recently found out that Boston butt was from the shoulder. Colour me surprised. Why the heck is it called butt?

Tags
None