"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
Cook

Wow thanks very much krishnan, I will try this. (edited out question about the coconut milk cream, I just didnt read carefully)

Another question though... should the meat and vegetables be pre-cooked or do they go in raw with the paste /coconut milk and cook with the curry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnan l View Post
our restaurant is a traditional thai restaurant. I am giving the recipe which is used iin our restaurant.

125 gms - dried red chilly(soaked in hot water)
30 gms - galangal(thai ginger)
30 gms - lemongrass
30 gms - kaffir lime peel
7 gms- cumin(broiled)
7 gms- coriander seeds(broiled)
15gms- dry shrimps
100gms- onion
70 gms- garlic

make a fine paste of the ingredients.

if u r taking 1 ladel of the paste, add 1ladel of nampla(thai fish sauce), 1 ladel of sugar. cook it till the raw flavour goes.

in the mean while heat the coconut milk to get the cream.take care, it should not be curled.

take the coconut cream from the top.the water remains at the bottom.

add that water(less amount) to the currry mixture.cook it some more time.then add cream to get the curry consisteny.then add brinjal, little kaffir lime leaves(broken)and a half sprig of basil.cook till the chicken tender and taste. u can find the same taste.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

U can cook the meat or veg. before adding the coconut cream or u can cook it seperately.if u cook seperately u lose some nutritions. but while cooking in curry, care should be taken that curry has more chances to curdle.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
Cook

I made krishnan l's recipe tonight. It is AMAZING. If you are looking for restaurant style thai curry, this is the one to try.

I used all the ingredients he specified except I used powders for the coriander and cumin, and I used grated lime peel rather than kaffir lime peel, but it still came out very much like a restaurant curry. I also found fresh red Thai chilies so I used those instead of dried. (i cut the quantity in half) I found fresh Thai basil so I put some leaves of that in at the end, too. It took me 3 years but I think I finally have a winner. THANKS! What's also great is now I have a bunch of paste that I can mix 1 part paste, 1 part fish sauce, 1 part sugar and mix with heated coconut milk to quickly make curry several times with the leftover paste.

I was lucky enough that a store called Lotte opened up right near my house, and they are a large store like Giant or a Whole Foods but specifically for Asian food. I picked up fresh Thai red chili peppers, Thai basil and lemongrass stalks there!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

If u have any other questions let me know
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnan l View Post
then add brinjal
Hello,

Is brinjal the ordinary aubergine ? And how much do you use in that recipe ?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Heres some nice curry recipes ..

Red Prawn and Mango Curry
Thai Green Monkfish Curry
Thai Squid Red Curry
Thai Vegetable Curry
Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #17
Senior Cook

If you are not used to cooking, the easiest way is to buy the ready curry paste. Buy a good one. You may have to try a few types to find out the best one. They have all the spices and herbs included. You can get them at Oriental supermarkets. If you like a deeper red colour, one trick that I use is to add Korean chili powder. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinee View Post
If you are not used to cooking, the easiest way is to buy the ready curry paste. Buy a good one. You may have to try a few types to find out the best one. They have all the spices and herbs included. You can get them at Oriental supermarkets. If you like a deeper red colour, one trick that I use is to add Korean chili powder. Hope this helps.
This. I have since started using a red curry paste I found at Lotte called "Cock Brand" red curry paste. It's much easier and frankly tastes better than my endeavors to make my own. I'll be posting my final recipe which I now use over and over to make red curry.

Tags
None