Roasted Beetroot, Feta Mint Mousse or Cottage Cheese or Ricotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Tax Lady raved about it too ... It is delicious ...

Many people do not like Beetroot however, I love it ... We also like Mashed Beetroot, prepared like Mashed Potatoes ...

Thanks again for feedback. I had posted a foto, so one can see how to serve it and stuff the beet root ...

All my best for a wonderful summer,

Margi.

Buon Giorno Margi,

Hope you are having a wonderful morning, the picture is great thanks. I love beet root, I can plain and sweet beets, they are just about ready to harvest. I also love to make Borscht, (I am Polish as you know), it is one of my favorite soups. This is my favorite time of the year when the vegetables are at their prime. However, we had a very dry summer and our farmers are suffering. I have no fruit at all on my apple and pear trees. :-( But, all is well, life is good. Thanks again for your wonderful recipes.

Gale

Pie Rogi, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Thank you so much for beautiful letter.

I truly appreciate it.

I too like Borscht too. Actually, Charlie D. who is from The Ukrane had given me his lovely traditional recipe which I believe he posted here on D.C.

I had not been aware that you are Polish, as a matter of fact, I thought you were Italian American ... I guess the Luca connection and your love of Pasta and Risotto.

Cool ... We have been to Warsaw a year ago, for some dairy cattle convention, the Vet had attended ... I ran about Warsaw, and ate alot of those luscious pastries in the city´s bakeries !

All my best once again for a great August,
Kind regards, Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Pie Rogi: Classic Greek Beetroot & Walnut Salad

:chef: Pie Rogi,

Here is a lovely simple traditional Greek beetroot salad:

4 large beets scrubbed and peeled

salt to taste

water to boil beets

Evoo - 4 tblsps.

Balsamic Modena Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar ( it is taste preference ) : one tablesp.

1 small minced garlic clove

Feta cheese room temperature for sprinkling

2 dozen walnuts sprinkled on top

1) scrub beets and place in pot of cold salted water and bring to boil
2) reduce heat / flame and simmer until beets are tender 35 - 40 mins.
3) remove and drain and rinse under cold water
4) peel beets and slice into thin rounds
5) place in bowl and toss with salt, Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil ) and vinegar of choice and garlic
6) serve with crumbled chunks of Feta and the walnuts

Delicious trio ... Enjoy,
Margaux Cintrano.

Dearest Margi

:chef: Pie Rogi,

Here is a lovely simple traditional Greek beetroot salad:

4 large beets scrubbed and peeled

salt to taste

water to boil beets

Evoo - 4 tblsps.

Balsamic Modena Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar ( it is taste preference ) : one tablesp.

1 small minced garlic clove

Feta cheese room temperature for sprinkling

2 dozen walnuts sprinkled on top

1) scrub beets and place in pot of cold salted water and bring to boil
2) reduce heat / flame and simmer until beets are tender 35 - 40 mins.
3) remove and drain and rinse under cold water
4) peel beets and slice into thin rounds
5) place in bowl and toss with salt, Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil ) and vinegar of choice and garlic
6) serve with crumbled chunks of Feta and the walnuts

Delicious trio ... Enjoy,
Margaux Cintrano.

Hello,

Yes, I am 100% Polish but have a passion for Polish, Italian, and Mediterranean foods. Italian being my favorite, however, I am passionate about Pierogi's and sourkraut and kielbasa. (Yum) I was just thinking about what to make for dinner, this salad and crusty bread is the answer. Once again, thank you for the recipe and you correspondence. I an going to look up CharlesD's recipe for Borsht.

Have a wonderful day, I am so glad to have the pleasure of your correspondence.

Gale

Pie Rogi,

Always a pleasure to hear from you ... The beetroot salad with walnuts would be lovely with crusty bread to dip ! a glass of chilled Prosecco, or Rosé !

Oh yes, please do look up Charlie D.´s Borscht thread ... He is a whiz at it ...

Kindest and do keep in touch,
Ciao, Margi.
Have a wonderful August too.

I like the way you think, I am a wine lover, and this would make a nice romantic meal, candles, wine and my hubby. Additionally, I like the fact that it is so light and refreshing, love it. My husband and I (especially me) try to eat well and only have fried foods once a month. I am a grilling nut, love to grill any and all proteins.

The Vet & I are married 32 years and thus, wine, candles and romance -- if missing the intimacy and sensuality ... can get to be room mates !!!

ha ha ha

We enjoy each other !

Kindest.
Margi.

I was married to my childhood sweetheart for 30 years, he passed away from ALS 9 years ago. I am re-married to a childhood friend, go figure. Life is funny. But, no matter what, I try to keep the romance going.

Sincerely,
Gale

here is one yummy baked salad with beetroots:

500 gr. small beetroots, preferably with the leaves, cut them in two
2 tablespoons olive oil
red chili flakes
cumin seeds 2 teaspoons
200 gr. feta cheese, diced

Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius.
Place the beetroots in a baking pan (without the leaves).
Heat the cumin seeds with the olive oil in a skillet until it is fried and pour on top of the beetroots.
Add salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes.
take the baking pan out of the oven, add the feta cubes and chili flakes , bake for another 20 minutes
Just before serving add the leaves , mix well.

Raw vegetables Salad

5 beetroots, raw, pilled
5 carrots, peeled
1 grren sour apple, cleaned and peeled
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 olive oil
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
salt, pepper
some parsley, fresh for decorating

Grate the beetroots, carrots and the apple, leave them to drain.

in a bowl mix the walnuts, the olive oil, the vinegar and add salt and pepper. Add the grated vegetavles in the bowl and mix well.

Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley when serving the salad.

i would reccomend to leave the salad for several hours, so the vegetables are going to taste better. I prepeare it in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator, we like it cold.

Pie Rogi: So sorry

Pie Rogi, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My sincere condolences.

To move on, I am a firm believer, in the old adage: Everyone is happy at the table or do not sit down ! I truly enjoy table decoration; candles, plates to mix and match, fresh flowers, wild preferably, gorgeous plating, napkin rings, stemware even for sparkling water, ambiance, and of course, the company invited ... Never a t.v. and never, arguing at the table !

The Vet truly appreciates having a beautiful table setting ... simplicity yet elegant and country style blend ...

Souvlaki was kind enough to provide some more beetroot and beet top leaf recipes for us !

So, I am going to try them out certainly...

All my best for a great August,
Any vacation plans ?

Have you emailed Charlie D. yet for the Borscht recipe ?

Margi. Ciao. ;)

Souvlaki: You are Wonderful

Souvlaki,

Firstly, Buon Giorno, and thanks so much for the Beetroot recipes ... I love Beetroot and in Galicia, the NW of Spain, I have a white bean soup called Caldo Gallego, which incorporates beet root leaves ... They are delicious. In Galicia, they are quite indigenious to this region and are called Grelos in Galician which is very similar to Portuguese with a Latin flair ...

The fish chowder: a thick creamy fish Soup ... this is wonderful ... I prefer your´s in all honesty, as I do not love pancetta ...

It does provide alot of flavor, however, I do not eat very much pork as the fat content is tremendous; except for lean Prosciutto di Parma or Acorn fed Jabugo Spanish Black foot ham ... I prefer steak 100% beef and roast lamb personally ...

However, I am going to try yours for Friday. Today I was unable to get over to the docks.

I had to get over to the Post Office to mail some magazines over to the USA ( my Mom, older daughter and old old friends ).

I bought 2 kilos of fresh ripe Greek Peaches, for Kadesma´s Cold Peach Soup. What a stunning Gazpacho this is ... It is not made with tomato, however, PEACHES ... aromatic bouquet ... I am making this today.

Kind regards and thanks for your email.

Margi.

Souvlaki & Pierogi: Photos 2 Beetroot Recipes

Souvlaki and Pie Rogi,

Here are the two photos from Thessalonikki Port, in northeast Greece where I have learnt to prepare these two recipes and have been preparing them, the same exact way.

*** Stock Photo Courtesy of: Hellenic Restaurant Pylos - Thessalonikki, Greece.

Attachments

• BEET SALAD.jpg
    BEET SALAD.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 159
  • NAPOLEON FETA BEET.jpg
    NAPOLEON FETA BEET.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 150
Raw vegetables Salad

5 beetroots, raw, pilled
5 carrots, peeled
1 grren sour apple, cleaned and peeled
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 olive oil
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
salt, pepper
some parsley, fresh for decorating

Grate the beetroots, carrots and the apple, leave them to drain.

in a bowl mix the walnuts, the olive oil, the vinegar and add salt and pepper. Add the grated vegetavles in the bowl and mix well.

Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley when serving the salad.

i would reccomend to leave the salad for several hours, so the vegetables are going to taste better. I prepeare it in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator, we like it cold.
This sounds delicious. What does "...beetroots, raw, pilled" mean?

Tax Lady,

The photos posted are the Beetroot with walnuts and feta and the one that you enjoyed so much, beetroot with feta, tzatziki and mint ...

Souvlaki has posted her traditional recipe for the walnut and beetroot salad, which I shall prepare tomorrow after the farmer´s market ...

All my best, have lovely Summer,
Margaux.

I think she meant "peeled".
That's what I was wondering, but "peeled" is spelled correctly a number of other places in that recipe. I looked it up in Wiktionary and "pilled" is actually an obsolete form of the word "peeled". (It also means that your sweater got those little round things they get from wear. :LOL:)

taxlady said:
That's what I was wondering, but "peeled" is spelled correctly a number of other places in that recipe. I looked it up in Wiktionary and "pilled" is actually an obsolete form of the word "peeled". (It also means that your sweater got those little round things they get from wear. :LOL:)

Either way, you remove the sweaters from the beets... :LOL:

All the recipes sound lovely. Will have to look for some beets.

Last edited:
Tax Lady and Dawgluver,

Interesting post Tax Lady ...

Imagine; you are a tax accountant, and a taxi is a vehicle which transports people in a registered special car ... English has quite a few interesting twists ... Latin, Greek, Arabic, Saxon, Anglo & Norman, Germanic, French etcetra ...

None the less, we all make type-oh errors ... I have to proof more carefully as I type extremely quickly.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom