Roasted Beetroot, Feta Mint Mousse or Cottage Cheese or Ricotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Written by: Margaux Cintrano

This spring sheer delight can be prepared the traditional Mediterranean way with Feta Cheese and Mint, or with Ricotta & Mint or with Cottage Cheese and Mint ...

Thessaloniki is a hellenic mecca and known for its terrific appetisers, called Mezedes, Meze in Arabic, Antipasti in Italian and Tapas in Spanish. This port on the northern Aegean Sea is well known for its fresh mussels and taverns featuring their national beverage ouzo.

This salad was shared on a cobblestone lane in an ancient flour mill turned tavern.The owner
just overjoyed to give a journalist a recipe, this salad has become a regular on our repertoire. It is colorful, healthy, made in a jif and stunning as well as versatile. Can suit low fat too, with cottage cheese fat free or ricotta low fat ...

Roasted Beets with Feta Mint Mousse ( can be made with Ricotta or Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt as well )

For 2 to 4:

250 ml. E.V.oliveoil
2 cups fresh mint leaves chopped finely
1 cup fresh parsley chopped finely
crumbled Feta cheese - 2 cups ( or Ricotta and / or Cottage Cheese )
1 tblsp chopped seeded serrano chili pepper
1 garlic clove minced
3 tblsps fresh lemon juice squeezed
8 small beetroots
1/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/8 tsp black freshly grounded pepper
*** ALUMINUM FOIL
***Vinaigrette to follow below recipe instructions

1) mix the cheese with the herbs, then whisk ingredients for Mousse in blender or food processor and refrigerate to firm up for 3 hours
2) rub washed and dried beets with olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper
3) wrap each beet in a sheet of aluminum foil which has been rubbed with olive oil and bake at 350 Fahrenheit or 180 centigrade degrees 50 to 60 minutes until tender.
4) when ready a room temperature: peel and quarter each beet without going through the bottom
5) place some mousse inside each beet
6) place 2 beets on each plate and put the Vinaigrette as follows:

2 tsp Dijon
2 tsp honey
salt and pepper
1/2 cup EV olive oil

*** whisk all ingredients and drizzle over beets.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is delicious and low calorie Ladies and Gals ( and Gents too ) ... It works with Cottage cheese, Yogurt style of choice, Ricotta or Feta Cheese or Goat cheese ...
Lovely ... take my word for it ...

Have a great wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
That sounds really interesting.

You wrote, "1) whisk ingredients for Mousse in blender or food processor and refrigerate to firm up for 3 hours"

Would that be all the ingredients listed above the beets?

@ Tax lady: Whisk the Cheese prior to putting in FP or Blender

That sounds really interesting.

You wrote, "1) whisk ingredients for Mousse in blender or food processor and refrigerate to firm up for 3 hours"

Would that be all the ingredients listed above the beets?

Tax Lady,

Good Morning Sunday ...

Sorry, I had actually wanted to correct this sentence, however, it was too late after I proof read the recipe ...

Just, whisk by hand or combine and blend with a mixer prior to putting in a Food Processor or Blender ...

This beetroot recipe is lovely --- you can also, choose a salad dressing or vinaigrette that u prefer ... It is very versatile ...

I like it with Feta, however, I have also made it with: Greek Yogurt, Ricotta and Cottage Cheese ... or Farmer´s Cheese when in USA years ago.

Thanks for writing.
Enjoy balance of wkend.

I have to change the CLOCKS to Daylight time ! The cellular phone and watches are done, however, need to get up on ladder for the big London clock with Roman Numerals in the kitch ...

Margi.

Roasted Beets with Feta Mint Mousse

Written by: Margaux Cintrano

This spring sheer delight can be prepared the traditional Mediterranean way with Feta Cheese and Mint, or with Ricotta & Mint or with Cottage Cheese and Mint ...

Thessaloniki is a hellenic mecca and known for its terrific appetisers, called Mezedes, Meze in Arabic, Antipasti in Italian and Tapas in Spanish. This port on the northern Aegean Sea is well known for its fresh mussels and taverns featuring their national beverage ouzo.

This salad was shared on a cobblestone lane in an ancient flour mill turned tavern.The owner
just overjoyed to give a journalist a recipe, this salad has become a regular on our repertoire. It is colorful, healthy, made in a jif and stunning as well as versatile. Can suit low fat too, with cottage cheese fat free or ricotta low fat ...

Roasted Beets with Feta Mint Mousse ( can be made with Ricotta or Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt as well )

For 2 to 4:

250 ml. E.V.oliveoil
2 cups fresh mint leaves chopped finely
1 cup fresh parsley chopped finely
crumbled Feta cheese - 2 cups ( or Ricotta and / or Cottage Cheese )
1 tblsp chopped seeded serrano chili pepper
1 garlic clove minced
3 tblsps fresh lemon juice squeezed
8 small beetroots
1/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/8 tsp black freshly grounded pepper
*** ALUMINUM FOIL
***Vinaigrette to follow below recipe instructions

1) mix the cheese with the herbs, then whisk ingredients for Mousse in blender or food processor and refrigerate to firm up for 3 hours
2) rub washed and dried beets with olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper
3) wrap each beet in a sheet of aluminum foil which has been rubbed with olive oil and bake at 350 Fahrenheit or 180 centigrade degrees 50 to 60 minutes until tender.
4) when ready a room temperature: peel and quarter each beet without going through the bottom
5) place some mousse inside each beet
6) place 2 beets on each plate and put the Vinaigrette as follows:

2 tsp Dijon
2 tsp honey
salt and pepper
1/2 cup EV olive oil

*** whisk all ingredients and drizzle over beets.

This sounds wonderful and right up my alley. Going to the market today and will be sure to buy the ingredients.

Are you going to or have you already posted your homemade ricotta recipe?
:yum:

@ Pierogi Princess,

Good Afternoon.

Firstly, thanks for trying the beetroot ... it is lovely ... with feta or ricotta ...

Yes, Please do look in Cheeses: Home Made Ricotta ... ( Have you ever made home made Ricotta ? is the title of the thread ... )

I had also posted a pasta, which you may enjoy ... It is called Nathalia, my younger daughter´s favorite ...

Thanks for keeping in contact.

Buona Pasquas, Feliz Pascuas.
Happy Holidays.

Kindest.
Margi

Last edited:
We just had this as an appetizer. It was delicious, especially the mousse. I have a bunch of the mousse left over and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something else to stuff the mousse into, not tomatoes or cucumbers, because DH doesn't like those.

I was surprised just how well that mint goes with the feta.

@ Tax Lady: Left Over Feta Cheese

Good Morning,

Firstly, I am pleased to hear that you and yours enjoyed the Beetroot stuffed with Mint & Feta Cheese.

Here are some ideas for the left over Feta Cheese:

1. an omelette sprinkled with a pinch of oregano and the mint with feta filling.

2. Spanakopita, the lovely Phyllo Greek spinach and feta little baked pastries.

3. A Greek Salad

4. Tyrosalata: this is feta and mint mousse, which is a dip, and serve with warm pita chips

5. package well the feta and in a few days; a beetroot or 2 as in recipe

Hope all is well, have a nice day.

Margi.

Last edited:
you could always use a kitchen foil, put some slices of fresh tomato on the bottom, then a slice of feta cheese, then slices of tomato again. sprinkle kosher salt, oregano and olive oil.For those that like picantic or hot food place one hot chilly inside. close the foil as a package and bake in the oven for half an hour,
or grill it on the cold area of your grill.

in greece they call this apetizer bougurdi...it is the most simple and delicious vay to bake feta trust me.

Shrimp Saganaki Appetiser For 2

@ Tax Lady and Souvalki,

Firstly, Soulvaki, thanks for the lovely compliment. I love Greek regional cuisine ...

Tax Lady: I had forgotten to post this delectable Greek Appetiser ... All you need is a fabulous bottle of dry white wine, and great company to share it with.

I have made this baked in oven as well, as a feta parmigiana ... This is to die for ...

10 large prawns / shrimp
Evoo
spring onion or scallion
1 green bell pepper cut julienne or golden yellow bell
1 red bell pepper cut julienne
1 shot glass of dry white wine
oregano - a pinch or 1 swig of fresh oregano
parsley herb fresh chopped finely
The leftover Feta Cheese with Mint
1 very ripe juicy tomato chopped finely
1 tbslp butter

1. shell shrimp or prawns and devein however, leave heads on
2. sauté in Evoo, the spring onion chopped finely
3. add the minced garlic to the spring onion and sauté until golden
4. add the julienne strips of colored bell peppers to sauté until tender
5. add the chopped tomato and stir slowly
6. when the sauce constitutes a thickness, add the shrimps
7. sauté in shrimps in the sauce on low to medium heat and before they turn rose - coral in color, add the white wine ...
8. Then, place the crumbled feta mint mousse on top with a tblsp of butter
9. swirl and glaze in sauté pan and remove when the feta mousse is melting

Serve with warm Pita, white wine and black fresh grinded pepper

Have a nice evening.
Margi.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Firstly, I am pleased to hear that you and yours enjoyed the Beetroot stuffed with Mint & Feta Cheese.

Here are some ideas for the left over Feta Cheese:

1. an omelette sprinkled with a pinch of oregano and the mint with feta filling.

2. Spanakopita, the lovely Phyllo Greek spinach and feta little baked pastries.

3. A Greek Salad

4. Tyrosalata: this is feta and mint mousse, which is a dip, and serve with warm pita chips

5. package well the feta and in a few days; a beetroot or 2 as in recipe

Hope all is well, have a nice day.

Margi.

I had to copy and paste these suggestions to your original recipe, what great ideas as usual. So glad to have met you and correspond with you.;)

Gale

I used some of it as salad dressing for a chicken salad we had as supper tonight. I mixed it half and half with mayo. Yum.

@ Soulvaki: Thanks for the recipe

Good Morning,

I apologise for not thanking you yesterday for your lovely recipe ...

It is quite interesting that Provence as well as Spain and Italia, have their versions of " pistou " also ... In Provence, they make a similar recipe with aubergine and zucchini ( corgette ), tomato and green & red bell peppers, garlic and onion, however, without the cheese. In Spain, they have a dish called Pisto Manchego ( Castilla La Mancha ) which is very similar to the Provence, French one, however, again, no cheese.

I have written it down, and shall prepare it certainly for a weekday lunch with hot oven warmed Pita ...

Thanks again.
Margi.

Last edited:
@ Pie Rogi,

Thanks ... You are very sweet.

@ Tax Lady,

Chicken salad with feta and mint mousse, interesting combination ... I am pleased you enjoyed ...

Thanks for posting the note.
Margi.

@ Tax Lady and Souvalki,

Firstly, Soulvaki, thanks for the lovely compliment. I love Greek regional cuisine ...

Tax Lady: I had forgotten to post this delectable Greek Appetiser ... All you need is a fabulous bottle of dry white wine, and great company to share it with.

I have made this baked in oven as well, as a feta parmigiana ... This is to die for ...

10 large prawns / shrimp
Evoo
spring onion or scallion
1 green bell pepper cut julienne or golden yellow bell
1 red bell pepper cut julienne
1 shot glass of dry white wine
oregano - a pinch or 1 swig of fresh oregano
parsley herb fresh chopped finely
The leftover Feta Cheese with Mint
1 very ripe juicy tomato chopped finely
1 tbslp butter

1. shell shrimp or prawns and devein however, leave heads on
2. sauté in Evoo, the spring onion chopped finely
3. add the minced garlic to the spring onion and sauté until golden
4. add the julienne strips of colored bell peppers to sauté until tender
5. add the chopped tomato and stir slowly
6. when the sauce constitutes a thickness, add the shrimps
7. sauté in shrimps in the sauce on low to medium heat and before they turn rose - coral in color, add the white wine ...
8. Then, place the crumbled feta mint mousse on top with a tblsp of butter
9. swirl and glaze in sauté pan and remove when the feta mousse is melting

Serve with warm Pita, white wine and black fresh grinded pepper

Have a nice evening.
Margi.

This sounds wonderful also, another recipe I cannot wait to try!

Gale

Photo: Greek Roasted Beetroot, Feta & Tzaziki

By: Margaux Cintrano: this delicious Greek meze, or appetiser is delightful and a meal all by itself. Photo below.

Attachments

• beetroot & feta.jpg
    beetroot & feta.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Gale: Thanks so much for your feedback

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Tax Lady raved about it too ... It is delicious ...

Many people do not like Beetroot however, I love it ... We also like Mashed Beetroot, prepared like Mashed Potatoes ...

Thanks again for feedback. I had posted a foto, so one can see how to serve it and stuff the beet root ...

All my best for a wonderful summer,

Margi.

Back
Top Bottom