"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
Head Chef

Here's another way to make spaetzle.
Spätzle - Schwäbische Eierspätzle und Knöpfle herstellen (große Portion) meditative Version ;-) - YouTube

The other video may show the best/most traditional way----- but I don't think I could ever do it. Plus I couldn't see exactly what was going on---- too fast---- but I enjoyed watching it.

If I ever decide to make spaetzle (doubtful) I'd buy the implement. I'm just lazy. Maybe a ricer could be used?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Here's another way to make spaetzle.
Spätzle - Schwäbische Eierspätzle und Knöpfle herstellen (große Portion) meditative Version ;-) - YouTube

The other video may show the best/most traditional way----- but I don't think I could ever do it. Plus I couldn't see exactly what was going on---- too fast---- but I enjoyed watching it.

If I ever decide to make spaetzle (doubtful) I'd buy the implement. I'm just lazy. Maybe a ricer could be used?
I was wondering something similar. I have a food mill and different plates for different hole sizes. One plate has holes that look big enough.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Master Chef

Cave, Halupki/golabki (go-woom-key) ARE cabbage rolls. Lots of different types of food with similar spellings in eastern European culture. You can find all kinds of recipes under "stuffed cabbage". Basically meat/rice mixture rolled into lightly steamed cabbage leaves, baked in a "sauce". Different liquids depending on the family, but normally a tomato-base. There are also lazy variations that layer the ground beef mixture and shredded cabbage like a lasagna. Polish lasagna.

Roch, take it from a Polish girl married to a Slovak guy, yours is too much work -in a yummy way! I'm sure your version is very good, but I make a simple meal with few ingredients. Shredded cabbage - check. Wide noodles - check. A grease to fry it in - check. I do mine in butter/margarine mix, my SIL uses oil. Both families like my way, only her gang likes her way too. Saw a post elsewhere on the webs where someone likes theirs with bacon in it - I think I'll try that next time and use the bacon fat because everything is better with bacon. Also like your addition of kielbasa which I think I'll try. Not so sure about the peppers/carrots/so-cream.

I steam the cabbage lightly, boil the noodles, then fry out each separately, combining when the cabbage is lightly browned and noodles have crisped a bit. We like crispy noodles and they don't get that way if you do the cabbage with the noodles right from the start. Himself likes it with onions, I don't. Since I do the cooking guess how I make it. Since I also do the pot washing I can turn in out using one each of a cutting board, large pot, colander, bowl, cooking spoon and knife.

FWIW, if you cook too many noodles for the amount of cabbage don't despair. Substitute cottage cheese for the cabbage, first frying the noodles and then plopping in enough cottage cheese to coat everything and mix well. Don't leave it on the heat too long or the water separates from the curbs and isn't as pretty.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the tutorial
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cave, Halupki/golabki (go-woom-key)

Roch, take it from a Polish girl married to a Slovak guy, yours is too much work -in a yummy way! I'm sure your version is very good, but I make a simple meal with few ingredients. Shredded cabbage - check. Wide noodles - check. A grease to fry it in - check. I do mine in butter/margarine mix, my SIL uses oil. Both families like my way, only her gang likes her way too. Saw a post elsewhere on the webs where someone likes theirs with bacon in it - I think I'll try that next time and use the bacon fat because everything is better with bacon. Also like your addition of kielbasa which I think I'll try. Not so sure about the peppers/carrots/so-cream.

This must be my French version. I guess I like a bit more going on in mine. I just can't help myself...

Tags
None