Russian Borscht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is a rose by any other name a rose? How about borsch?

Remember guys and gals, borsch by any name (borsch is the official US transliteration for the Ukrainian word which I need the Cyrillic alphabet to spell), anyway, borsch has escaped the borders. It's anything from a very simple beet soup to a gourmet presentation. It must contain beet roots or the juice there of or kavass or puree from said vegetable. Remember beet roots.

My well traveled Russian Literature Professor (father from Russian and mother from Ukraine, fluent Russian, traveled there many times literally from one end to the other, PhD, etc.) adds corn to his sometimes. He says that in Moscow they like to put hot dogs in it. It is good with hot dogs included.:chef:

I like the recipe I have from Lviv - authentic from a dear grandmother there - vegetarian all the way with lima beans and of course beets. Most excellent and if a grandmother born, raised, and living in Lviv calls her recipe borsch then borsch it is! Smile, it's really only a beet based vegetable soup with or without meat stock or meat. Humble beet soup which threatens to send the armies marching armed with sharpened wooden spoons!

It isn't what it was in the old days when beet roots were finally cultivated from a skinny root to what they are today. In ancient days only the greens were used. Today the greens are hardly used. Enjoy, just make sure there are beet roots.:)

Well said, David.

It's impossible to claim a single recipe for a food such as borsch is the only acceptable version. Every mom and grandmother in Eastern European countries has their own version and it's as legit as any other.

Sort of like beef stew or coq au vin or beef bourguignon or goulash, etc, etc. There are home grown country dishes that sprang from what was available at the time.

Granted, each of these dishes has some basic ingredients that have to be present to qualify the dish, but after that, there's a lot of flexibility.

My Bubby (Jewish grandma) used to make a clear beet/garlic borsht....a little sugar added to it, I remember, and it was served with boiled potatoes that you put in your bowl of soup at the table....Ymmmmmmy

I love this place, borsch from everywhere to rice Iranian style.

This borsch thread is one of the most fun around. I love it. :) This is for fun and sharing.

There is a blog that has a discussion going about the Ukrainian language. It's more like a dog fight and so full of silly statements I can't believe it. I would rather share a bowl of borsch and a good piece of dark bread. Yes, some perohies would be nice. Even a plate of peroshie. It's hard to argue with your mouth full of good food. Cheers! :)

Back
Top Bottom