"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Russian Borscht

8 cups water
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
3 medium beets
2 carrots
1 tellow onion
a tablespoon or so of lard
2 medium red potato's
1 cup shredded tomato, deseeded
1 cup sweet cream
1 Tbspn flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Peel and finely shred beets, carrots and onion.

Add water, and bring to a low boil

Add lard, S+P and continue to cook until vegetables are tender.

Add cubed potato and tomato.

Mix flour in a bit of cold water and stir in with cream.

Serve with sour cream...

Health food from the Prairies...

Old 10-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
Head Chef

Wow. That looks good, Lifter! Using peas is an interesting idea!

Growing up, a Ukrainian mother lived next door and made her borshch always with a smoked meat (beef and ham as I recall) and cabbage, in addition to beets and beans and potatoes, and maybe even mushrooms...not too sure about that. There were so many vegetables in the soup that you could stand a wooden spoon upright in the pot, which I remember her doing when pronouncing the dish done.

I do love a good Borscht!

Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Everymom

To throw in a variation of what looks like a FABULOUS recipe, we use a beef stock base, and use all the veggies listed above, but add in shredded zucchini as well. We are usually overstocked with the danged things. We also do not put in any cream. Then when we serve, we put the big tub of sour cream on the table for people to add their own. It cools the soup off to an edible heat right away.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #4

From a "classic" point of view, borscht is a peasant's dinner soup, and so would not contain meat of any description...mind I do have a recipe that calls for minor amounts of veal stewmeat...

Lifter
Old 10-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Lifter: This substantial soup can be served hot or cold. Serving it cold, I like to bind it with sour, rather than sweet, cream. A small amount of brown sugar can help to counterbalance the acidity of the beets. For an extra-hearty version, I use beef stew meat, beef stock, white cabbage, carrots, parsnips, and tomatoes. And allspice berries add impact to the overall beef flavour. Nevertheless, the version you have offered is excellent in itself, and would certainly make for a complete meal, particulary when served with, for example, the pirozhki, mentioned below.

Russian-style black bread is often the de rigueur accompaniment for Borshch as an appetizer soup or lunchtime dish. It is also very suitable to broaden its satisfaction by serving it with pirozhki (beef, chicken, or veal pies), vatrushki (savoury cheese tartlets), or kasha (a type of buckwheat pancake). A robustly fortifying meal – especially in the dead of winter.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmmm, i love borscht. my mil was from slovakia, where they made a clear borscht. i guess there were no beets. it kinda looked like dishwater, with bits of eggs and bread floating in it, but it was really good, it was usually served around easter. has anyone ever heard of this type of borscht, and might you have a recipe?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Everymom

buckytom, was it chicken based broth? I have one that has a chicken based broth, whipped eggs cooked into it and we also put thinly sliced onion in it too. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Don't know if this is what you want, but will post it if you do.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, thanks alix. but i think yours is different. i don't think it was a chicken broth, and the eggs were hard boiled first, then sliced into the soup.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
mmmmm, i love borscht. my mil was from slovakia, where they made a clear borscht. i guess there were no beets. it kinda looked like dishwater, with bits of eggs and bread floating in it, but it was really good, it was usually served around easter. has anyone ever heard of this type of borscht, and might you have a recipe?
Hi everyone!! I just joined and hope to post some good recipes and also to find some new ones. This really looks like a great site.
I happened to be lurking through all the different topics and saw this one. This is a recipe my Babcia (grandma-Polish) used to make every Easter.

Polish Easter Baszcz (Ham and Sausage Borsch)

3 quarts ham or sausage cooking liquid
3 T. flour
1 cup water
3 T. white vinegar (or to taste)
1-1/8 cups cooked ham (cut in 1-inch pieces)
6 pieces (3 inches each) cooked smoked sausage
6 eggs, hard-cooked
6 slices rye bread
6 tsp. prepared horseradish

Chill 3 quarts liquid reserved from cooking ham or sausage. Skim off all fat; measure 3 T. and return these to liquid. Heat. Blend flour and water; stir into hot liquid. Add vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place into each large, individual soup bowl: 1/4 cup ham; 1 piece sausage, cut up; 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced; 1 slice rye bread, cut in 1-inch pieces, and 1 tsp. prepared horseradish. Pour hot soup overall. Serves 6.

Brings back memories. My grandmother is still with us, she is turning 96 next week, she's just not able to do much cooking any more.

Barb
Old 10-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

THAT"S IT!!!!!! thanks so much homecook/barb. my mil is slovakian, my fil is polish so it was an easter tradition in their house. i would really like to make it next year. me lost my mil in august, and now have taken in one of her best friends to live with us since she was about to lose her house, and we had the room. she is from slovakia also, and married a german/pole. getting a whole new bunch of recipes and traditions to learn from her, it's great.
lol, she wanted to make chicken soup for us since we were sick last week, and went out to my herb garden for some parsley to put in the soup. when it was done, it was very tasty, but very different. we couldn't for the life of us figure out what was different, but i noticed it tasted an awful lot like a thai soup called tom yum. then i realized she couldn't tell the difference between the cilantro and parsley, and put cilantro in it. my wife is going to try to reproduce the mistaken chicken soup tonight it was so good...

Tags
None